Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Error Message

by Skittlebrain / January 29, 2009 1:31 AM PST

I have an Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista. I have 2.00 GB of memory and the computer is a brand new. I am receiving the below error message everytime I shutdown or restart the computer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
explorer.exe-Application Error
The instruction at 0x75f184fd referenced memory at 0x0000000. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
A Couple Of Thoughts..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: Error Message

1. Have you visited the Dell site to check for updated drivers for your computer's hardware? If not please do.. Driver issues can cause the Explorer error you're seeing..

2. Because the problem can also be caused by Malware, please follow the steps below:

On a friend or family member's computer, download the Malwarebytes installer and update files from the links below, copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer the files to the problem machine and use them. If you can't start the computer into "normal" windows, try installing, updating, and running the scans AFTER the computer is started into Safe Mode.. I use the sites below to download the installer file and the manual updater:

Once downloaded and before transferring them to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Next, download the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. After running the Malwarebytes tool above, if you still can't download and install it directly from the problem machine, download it on a friend or family member's computer as well.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks..
by Skittlebrain / January 29, 2009 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: A Couple Of Thoughts..

Thanks Grif. I will try the mbam. I have the SuperAntiSpyware already on my computer. I just got this computer yesterday. I did check the online Dell section and also contacted their tech help. They told me to try disabling the screen saver which did nothing. When I get the error message I can click OK and it shuts down as it's supposed to,it's just a hassle to have to do it and I know it's not right. I'm sure it's just something small but how to get rid of is frustrating. I'll let you know how the mbam goes.

Collapse -
FIXED!!
by Skittlebrain / January 29, 2009 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks..

The mbam showed nothing at all. Come to find out it was a Google toolbar that was installed at the factory. Once it was deleted it seems to be shutting down normally now. I really appreciate your help and am glad to have found the programs you pointed me to!!
Jenny

Collapse -
Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: FIXED!!

The various toolbars are frequent glitches for shutdown and internet connections.. My choice is to NOT install them.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Bad news
by Skittlebrain / January 29, 2009 12:39 PM PST

It's back. How,why I have no clue. After I thought I had gotten rid of it things were fine. I shut down the computer five times no problem. Tonight I went to shut down before going to bed and the darn thing is back again. I am stunned. Any ideas Grif? Since the computer is this new,maybe should I just reformat it and see if that does it?

Collapse -
Has to be malware
by Skittlebrain / January 30, 2009 3:29 AM PST

I was talking in depth to a Dell tech today. They had me take the back off the computer,remove the memory,then put it back in. Still same problem,still getting the error message on shut down. Errrgghh

Collapse -
(NT) Run Those Scans Till They Come Up Empty
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: Has to be malware
Collapse -
Fixed,I think
by Skittlebrain / January 30, 2009 1:33 PM PST

I spent an entire 2 hours on the phone with the Dell tech. He connected to my computer from his and did tons of stuff. Deleted many things,not sure what all he was doing. He didn't like that I had mbam and the SuperAntiSpyware. He deleted them but after he was done I added them back again. Happy Finally the issue was resolved and I was able to shut my computer down without any error messages,but then my touchpad wouldn't work!! It was like my mouse was possessed and eratic. So I called them back again and once again they connected to my computer. A half hour later the guy installed new drivers and so that issue was taken care of. Now mind you I've had these problems and just got this computer delivered to me on Wednesday!! It's been so frustrating. The scans are coming up empty and for now everything seems to be working as it should. Thanks again Grif for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
do two checks - then another
by batman823 / February 1, 2009 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Fixed,I think

Try to empty your temporary internet files folder. There may be a corrupt cookie in there. They are trusted by most scans because they come from "secure" sites. But a few viruses do come that way and stay protected. It may be a corrupt file in there as well. I know it doesn't sound likely, but it may be the cause. Explorer and IExplore can both be infected by the same corrupt file or cookie.

Second check, go to your c:\windows\system32 file. Check for a file called prunnet.exe
It's a very new virus which tells windows that it's a windows component and can't be deleted. Malwarebytes can take care of it. If this is a case, then good. But if you can't delete it and it tells you "access denied" then run a shell scan with Symmantic/Norton and malwarebytes. If prunnet exists and these don't work. It's progressed too far and you'll have to take it in.

If it's brand new and you can't find the problem. Take the PC into the store you bought it and demand that you get it fixed or replaced.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks!!
by Skittlebrain / February 1, 2009 11:00 AM PST

I emptied the temporary internet files as you suggested. The other thing you told me to look for was not in my system32 files at all,so that's good news. Everything seems to be running just fine now. Thanks!!

Collapse -
Good, Just checking
by batman823 / February 8, 2009 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!!

Make sure you have a copy of malwarebytes on disk. AVG, Symmantic/Norton, etc. don't recognize Prunnet as a virus. But Malwarebytes will catch it.
Prunnet came from somewhere in Germany about a month ago and it's a nasty beast.

I had Norton 360 and was up to date and my desktop is essentially a paperweight right now. I'm in the process of sorting through pictures and whatnot before I wipe it clean.

Whatever you do, good luck. Ensure you keep your antivirus stuff updated.

Collapse -
New problem..
by Skittlebrain / February 9, 2009 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: Good, Just checking

Thanks..I think this problem is resolved. However I have a new problem. My laptop suddenly and with no warning shuts down,just goes dark,poof. You can easily get it started again but the second you touch a key or do anything poof it shuts down again. If you leave it off for about two hours then it's fine and you can get thru about a half day using it and then it will shut down again like this.
What is wrong?

Collapse -
Sounds Like A Heat Issue..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: New problem..

When was the last time you opened up the computer and used compressed air to blow out the dust from around the processor, all fans, and all vents?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
How??
by Skittlebrain / February 9, 2009 7:49 AM PST

Hi Grif!! I've never done that!! Ok,so how do I do that?? I'm assuming I take the cover off the bottom of the laptop then use the compressed air on the inside?? Thanks Grif and I'm sure it is a heat issue. It's not a battery issue,as the battery is always fully charged when this happens and the unit is usually plugged in.

Collapse -
Links For Cleaning The Laptop
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 8:51 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks SO much!!
by Skittlebrain / February 9, 2009 1:14 PM PST

Thanks Grif!! That really helped!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!