Computer Help forum

General discussion

Error loading explorer.exe

Need help please. Daughter's Dell computer OS was corrupt and was advised to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I stupidly installed a borrowed copy of xp to see if it would correct the problems. It did, so I went out and bought my own copy. uninstalled the borrowed copy and attempted to install my new copy (1st copy was PRO and I bought HOME) I got an incompatiblity message and deleted the involved programs. Now I cannot get ME to load. Message- Error loading explorer.exe---required .dll file C:Windows\system|msvcrt.dll was not found. I obviously deleted something I wasn't supposed to and I do not have access to the orignal software or startup disk. She left it in storage at college. Can anyone help? Can't afford to take it to the shop. I am trying to not reformat the disk as she is a medical student with lots of "stuff" she doesn't want to lose.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error loading explorer.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error loading explorer.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Error loading explorer.exe

In reply to: Error loading explorer.exe

I obviously deleted something I wasn't supposed to and I do not have access to the orignal software or startup disk.

Sounds like a huge mess but regardless, do you believe the deleted files (msvcrt.dll) are in the Recycled folder where they would be available for restore?
Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Error loading explorer.exe

Yes I believe the file could be in the recycle bin,
however, the error message occurs as ME is loading and it crashes before I could get access to the recycle bin.

Collapse -

1. First let me mention that I've never seen WinME.

2. "BootDisk.com" is a good source for acquiring a copy of an EBD/Startup disk for the particular version of Windows.

a. After download the file "boot98.exe", place a floppy in the disk drive and then double click this file -- even if you haven't already provided the floppy at that time, the program will prompt that you do so.

b. When complete and the system BIOS has been set to boot from the floppy drive, the system will go through several preparation steps. You will find on the last screen information pertaining to the specified drive where the Diagnostic tools were placed -- a RAMDRIVE, as well as the drive information where the system CD-ROM drive exists -- the one to be used for running Windows Setup.

Note: Do not expect to start Windows after booting with this floppy.

3. Once booted with an EBD, the prompt on the MS-DOS screen would read A:\ > and you would need to progress as follows by typing the bolded information shown below and then pressing ENTER:

a. c:

b. Since I do not know where WinME could be installed on that system, I'm going to assume it is on the C:\ drive and that it is named Windows. However, to ascertain for yourself, dir

Note: If the display is too fast and runs out at the bottom and nothing is shown that make sense, dir | more (note that the middle character is the piping character usually a capital back-slash near the backspace key on most keyboards). To scroll further on the screen using this procedure, just press the spacebar. If it's not on the C:\ drive, then D:, etc..

c. Once it is noted which drive Windows is installed and the drive is listed on the screen -- either "C: >" or "D: >", cd recycled -- the "Recycled" name is indicated as a Folder when using the "dir" command and then pressing ENTER. Perform the "dir" command as already described before. Once the file msvcrt.dll is found -- and note that the "period" is not shown on the MS-DOS window because it is assumed.

Note: If no files are shown whatsoever, at the command prompt type attrib -h *.*. Do the "dir" command and start a new.

d. copy msvcrt.dll c:\windows\system -- being sure of the name of the folder where "windows" is installed.

e. cd..

f. cd windows (or what every the name happens to be)

g. cd system

h. Perform the "dir" command once more to see if the file Msvcrt.dll is listed???

Collapse -
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

I so appreciate your help. It was not in the recycle bin, but I copied the file from my very old computer running 98 and copied it to the windows system file
and IT WORKED. I would have never been able to do it as I haven't used dos in many years and even then I had very little experience. I am now trying to upgrade to XP and still having compatibility problems. Says I need to delete the Microsoft shared fax client, but its
not in the add/remove programs list. I am on my way to do some research. I learned an important lesson and will proceed cautiously.

Collapse -
Re: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

In reply to: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Collapse -
'lots of 'stuff' she doesn't want to lose'

In reply to: Error loading explorer.exe

Which shows the necessity of regularly making a backup to another computer (small home network) or another medium. With cd-burners and rewritable cd's being cheap, there's no excuse for not doing it, and it's all your/her own fault if she loses any piece of it. The hard way seems to be the only way to learn this.

Doing more or less stupid things (like here) is not the only reason to lose files on the hard disk. Outright failure of the disk can occur every day. Viruses may delete files or make a mess of the OS, sometimes necessating a format/reinstall as the only option left.

If the file system is still OK, a Knoppix CD and a cd-burner are all that is needed to get everything of the hard disk now.

Alternative: get a Windows ME CD from ebay. Delete the Windows folder from DOS, and install Windows ME again. Lot's of things will be gone, application programs won't work anymore, but all data is still there to be put aside safely.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
Re: 'lots of 'stuff' she doesn't want to lose'

In reply to: 'lots of 'stuff' she doesn't want to lose'

A little harsh there sir. I already acknowledged that I did a stupid thing, and I accepted the guilt if she loses her "stuff". To a single Mom with two kids in college a cd burner is not cheap nor are home networks. And as it turns out neither is trying to fix your own computer. I was hoping that the damage I did had a fairly easy fix, but it doesn't. I learned my lesson. I do appreciate your advice, however, I'm not willing to take a chance and purchase another copy of ME and then still have to take it to the shop.

Collapse -
Re: 'lots of 'stuff' she doesn't want to lose'

In reply to: Re: 'lots of 'stuff' she doesn't want to lose'

You can pick up a cdrw drive at Office Max this week (on sale) $39.95 less $20.00 mail-in rebate = $19.95.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.