General discussion

Error code: -6003 during uninstall

A friend gave me their old PC, and I'm getting rid of programs I don't need or don't have the disks for. I'm trying to uninstall the game RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe but when I do I get the following message:

InstallShield Wizard

Setup has experienced and error.

Please do the following:
- Close any running programs
- Empty your temporary folder
- Check your Internet connection (Internet-based Setups)

Then try to run the Setup again.

Error code: -6003

I have seen several suggestions online that I should reinstall the program, then uninstall it again. However, I just got this computer and have no software CDs with it whatsoever, not this game, XP, nothing. Only what is loaded on the PC. I removed many other programs without problems. Any suggestions on how I can remove this game?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Error code: -6003 during uninstall
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Error code: -6003 during uninstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
well enough alone

use system restore and leave progroms there-you can and will erase
critical data need to recognise other programs

- Collapse -
The next step is the Hard Way

The uninstall procedure has possibly removed some, if not much, of the RollerCoaster game folder and files before it failed, so the best way forward is to manually delete the remainder. You can use Windows Explorer to hunt the folders and files down. Windows Explorer is a file explorer and not to be confused with Internet Explorer.

I have the game myself, although not the Deluxe version, and it is usually loaded in;
C:\Program files\Hasbro Interactive\RollerCoaster Tycoon
although different computer users may install in different directories/folders.

If you use Search and search for Hasbro, that will find all the folders and files, including Start Menu shortcuts. There doesn't seem to be any in Documents and Settings other than for the All Users\Start Menu.

Manually delete them, and that should be enough. There will probably still be files such as .dll (Dynamic Link Libraries), within the Windows\System32 folder, but you will not be able to identify those, so they can just be left there.

There will also be Registry entries, and you could use the Find function to look for any and all Hasbro registry entries, but again, I wouldn't bother. They won't do any harm there.

I hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
Re: The next step is the Hard Way

I guess I was looking at it from a standpoint of fixing the error, but I suppose you are right. Since it is specific to this program installation I guess you are right that I can just delete it manually. Mine is located under C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe. I deleted that program folder and did a couple searches to round up any more stray files I could find.

It's probably not terribly important that I delete everything, but getting someone else's computer comes with a lot of file clutter that's useless to me, so I'm trying to clean it up as much as possible. Then I want to run the defrag to clean up the disk. I wonder if I should use the Windows defrag or download one from this site? I also wonder what other utilities I could run that would be useful to clean up the hard disk and make it run more smoothly?

- Collapse -
Yes I agree.

Clearing out a old secondhand computer is a good idea.

Ideally, they would have given you the installation disks, so you could have reformatted and installed a fresh system OS.

There are many things you can do to continue the cleaning process. Disk Defrag comes later, after you have removed everything you don't need, and installed the essentials, like a firewall, an anti-virus and an anti-spyware. Those last two are needed to do a complete scan of the system to remove any unwanted malicious files, and the firewall is needed before you use the computer on the internet.

You've gone through the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, but likely there are Accounts to be deleted. But make sure you create your own Admin account first. We find that more often than not users do not create their own accounts, and instead use XP's default Administrative account. Not a good idea in case an account profile becomes corrupted. Then they are stuck, and cannot log into XP as an Admin user.

So, if this computer only has the one Admin account, you shouldn't delete it, but instead clean out its My Documents file contents. When you create your own Admin account, the XP System's Administration account will disappear from the login Welcome Screen, but it will still be available in Safe Mode.

Check what is being loaded at Startup in the MSCONFIG editor, (Start > Run, type in msconfig, click OK, then click the Startup tab), and remove any unwanted startup entries.

Check the hardware. You can check the Device Manager, (right click the My Computer icon > Properties > Hardware tab, then the Device Manager), for any exclamation marks, but also, don't forget to open the case and clean out any dust build up, especially on the fans, using a compressed air spray. Check for any blown or bulging capacitors.

Then run an error check on all the hard disks, (CHKDSK), before defragging. The Windows Defragmenter is fine for this, and you don't need to defrag often, although I would on the machine you have, just initially.

The CHKDSK will need a reboot to run and will take hours, depending what size hard disks. Defrag will also take a while.

Make sure all Windows Updates have been installed.

You don't say much about the computer specs but always the best way to get better performance is to add more RAM, unless it already has 1 to 2 GB.

Keep away from harm when surfing. The best way is to use any browser other than IE or IE based, and any other email software than Outlook Express or Outlook.

I hope that helps.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info