Windows Vista forum

General discussion

error code 0x0 with RC1

by mickeddie / September 15, 2006 10:39 AM PDT

I am using XP and want to do an upgrade install from within the OS. I ran the setup and after a few moments got this message..."Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error. To install Windows restart the installation. Error code 0x0."

I have a Prescott CPU 3.2ghz and 2 gb RAM. I do NOT have Vista Beta, just RC1.

Any ideas on what to do?

Eddie G

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: error code 0x0 with RC1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: error code 0x0 with RC1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A question and suggestions...
by John.Wilkinson / September 16, 2006 1:56 PM PDT

First, how are you installing Vista...did you burn a DVD or did you mount the ISO? Burning a DVD tends to be more problematic, and while reducing the speed of the burn seems to help it's still better to mount the ISO using something along the lines of Daemon Tools, which is free.

Second, note that upgrade installations can be tricky. For best results disable any unnecessary software when you launch the installer (if mounting the ISO) and disconnect any peripherals (either way).

Finally, note that Vista is still a bit buggy and not fully supported, so you may not want to overwrite XP at this time. Instead I'd suggest either dual-booting or loading Vista in a virtual machine. (Basically running Vista inside a window on top of XP.) The best free tool for this is VMWare Server, which shouldn't have a problem at all considering you have 2GB of RAM at your disposal.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Mount the iso?
by mickeddie / September 17, 2006 9:37 AM PDT

I do not know what it means to mount the iso. I used Nero Burner to burn the ISO to a DVD and ran the setup from the DVD. I will try the other methods you suggested.

If I use Virtual Machine how do I tell the installation program where to install? Does it create a false hard drive?

Collapse -
The other options...
by John.Wilkinson / September 17, 2006 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Mount the iso?

When you mount an ISO, you use a program such as Daemon Tools to create a virtual DVD-ROM drive that points to the Vista ISO you downloaded. This prevents you from having to burn the DVD and incur the problems that can go along with it.

In regards to using a virtual machine, you install software such as Virtual PC or WMWare Server. It will create a file on your hard drive that acts like a virtual hard drive, usable only by compatible virtualization software. The virtual machine acts like a separate computer, so when you start it up it will detect the DVD in the drive just like your computer would and prompt to boot from it. Alternatively, you can mount the ISO and point it to the fake DVD-ROM drive in order to install the OS in the virtual machine. There should only be one partition detected (the virtual machine), so you just install it there. This way you can leave your computer in it's current state and still run Vista. If anything goes wrong simply delete the virtual machine like you would any other file and continue on. That's a recommended option when it comes to beta testing software since you minimize possible problems.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
virtual machine and vista
by mickeddie / September 18, 2006 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: The other options...

I load the DVD to boot and install an OS from my virtual machine and get the bar with "windows is loading files" but it hangs there and nothing happens. I cannot load the vista ISO file as I get an error message from the virtual machine's window that it is not the right size for a CD image.

Any suggestions aside from giving it more time?

Collapse -
never mind
by mickeddie / September 18, 2006 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: The other options...

never mind my last's working now.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?