Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Error after Part 1 of XP Install

by ssimontis / September 15, 2004 9:32 AM PDT

After my WIndows XP Home Edition began acting strange, I had to make a choice. I could reinstall Windows, or try Linux. I tried Linux, using Fedora Core 2, but my wireless card wouldn't work, so I am moving to Windows again. I found my XP Home Edition disk, inserted it, and went through the install process with no errors. It then displayed the message that XP would restart in 15 seconds to continue setup. After the restart, everything goes wrong. If I keep the disk in my CD drive, it restarts the setup process. If I remove the disk, I get an "Error Loading Operating System" message from the BIOS. I have 2 CD drives, and have tried both, but neither will work. I tried changing the boot order too. Normally, my computer checks the CD drives first, then the hard drive looking for an operating system. I changed it to look at hard drive first, but the problem still persists. I get the "Error Loading Operating System" error, and then the computer freezes up. For about 30 seconds, the HD LED flashes on, but afetrwards, it goes off. I have tried installing XP 4 times so far, and it has failed all four times. After recieving the "error loading operating system" message, it has only beeped one time. The beep was continuous beeps that persisted until I restarted. I have looked online for some information, but cannot find any. Does anyone know what is wrong? Here are my machine specs:
FIC AU13 mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU @ 1.67GHz
1024MB PC-2700 DDR RAM
40GB Mactor 7200RPM IDE HD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error after Part 1 of XP Install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error after Part 1 of XP Install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Error after Part 1 of XP Install
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 9:42 AM PDT

First unplug any USB devices and try one last time.

Next, the repair to the XP OS Loader is usually these steps... I will leave it to you to research http://support.microsoft.com why I use the 98 boot disk.

1. Repair the MBR

Boot a 98 diskette (I use win98se.exe from bootdisk.com) and type FDISK /MBR

Remove the diskette and try a boot...

2. Repair the boot loader...

Boot the XP CD and make your way to the Recovery Console.

Use FIXBOOT and BOOTCFG

That's it for the OS loader.

Bob

Collapse -
by ssimontis / September 15, 2004 11:08 AM PDT

I do not have a WIndows 98 CD, so I made an XP rescue floppy. However, the floppy cannot start because "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt". How do I fix this? Must I find the file on the XP instalation CD and copy it over, or is their some other way?

Collapse -
I used....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 11:13 AM PDT

win98se.exe from bootdisk.com to make that boot disk. Then I was able to do that step.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
by David Chan / September 15, 2004 12:47 PM PDT

"If I keep the disk in my CD drive, it restarts the setup process."

This will only happen if you press any key during the re-startup.
Make sure you don't tough the keyboard when it restarts and it'll continue with the rest of the setup.

"If I remove the disk, I get an "Error Loading Operating System" message from the BIOS."

This is because XP has not complete the setup and thus you cannot boot into XP.

My suggestion is to start over.
This time delete the partition during the setup, then create a new partition and format the HDD and clean install XP.

During the restart after copying of the files don't press any key and it'll proceed with the rest of the installation.

Collapse -
by ssimontis / September 15, 2004 9:05 PM PDT

I am gettings windows98se flopy just in case. However, I HAVE to press a key during the restart. My BIOS has me press a key to boot from the CD. If I don't press a key within 5 seconds, it freezes. I have the Award BIOS if that helps.

Collapse -
by David Chan / September 15, 2004 10:28 PM PDT

"If I don't press a key within 5 seconds, it freezes. I have the Award BIOS if that helps"

I have done numerous XP setups on PCs with Award BIOS and it should not freeze if you don't press any key during the restart after copying files.

To work around this when the PC restarts after copying of XP setup files you press the DELETE key and get into the BIOS setup and change the Boot Sequence to start with the Hard drive as the first boot.
Then let it continue to complete the setup.

This should overcome your problem.

Collapse -
by ssimontis / September 16, 2004 7:03 AM PDT

I worked on this a little more. After installing XP again, I swiyched my hard drive to be the first thing to boot in the BIOS. Still nothing. I then put the Windows 98 boot disk in. I ran FDISK /MBR, and then exited. After this, I booted to the XP CD again, and this time went into rescue mode. I typed in FIXBOOT and BOOTCFG. I did a BOOTCFG /LIST first to make sure only 1 entry was there, and it was right. The entry was "Windows XP Home Edition" with the fastdetect option. I then ran BOOTCFG /DEFAULT and chose that entry, and restarted. Now the error has changed to "Missing operating system." Does anyone know what to do now? Thank you to those that have been helping me so far.

Collapse -
One more fdisk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 7:08 AM PDT

I wonder if your partition is marked ACTIVE?

Boot the 98 disk again and run FDISK to check.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: One more fdisk.
by ssimontis / September 16, 2004 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: One more fdisk.

I did check fdisk. It lists my NTFS partitions as active.

Collapse -
More than one active is ODD!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: One more fdisk.

How did you do that?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: More than one active is ODD!
by ssimontis / September 16, 2004 9:23 AM PDT

I had a typo there! I meant to type partition, not partitions. Sorry about that. My only NTFS partition is active.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 9:41 AM PDT

The missing os is usually the BIOS reporting such. Time to double check that your BIOS is set to boot off the hard disk, and that you didn't have the virus protection enabled in the BIOS while we were trying to rewrite the OS boot loader.

Bob

Collapse -
by ssimontis / September 16, 2004 9:50 AM PDT

I tried booting not only to HDD-0, but also tried HDD-1, HDD-2, and HDD-3 just to make sure some strange error wasn't occuring. Still, the "Missing Operating System" errors persist. I already have virus protection off in the BIOS.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 9:58 AM PDT
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321626 is pretty much a duplicate, but you should review it.

In short, try the FIXMBR since FDISK /MBR didn't affect it, but the ACTIVE PARTITION must be the one that has the XP startup files. The article explains this.

Again, the active partition is not to be set to where XP is, but rather where the startup files are.

Bob
Collapse -
by ssimontis / September 16, 2004 10:39 AM PDT

I only have 1 HD partition, so that is where the startup file are. FIXMBR is reporting that the MBR is messed up, but never repairs it, even after I say y to the warning.

Collapse -
Try try again...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 10:46 AM PDT

I use the DOS FDISK /MBR for this reason. It seems to accomplish this without fuss, but if the BIOS virus protection is working, it fails too.

Next time supply the exact error message...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Try try again...
by ssimontis / September 16, 2004 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Try try again...

After using the 98 floppy, and typing FDISK /MBR, there is a momment of activity, then it goes back to the command line, waiting for the next command. When I restart after this, I get a "Missing Operating System" error when the BIOS tries to load an OS. When I use FIXMBR from the XP disk, it tells me that the MBR is damaged, and then asks me if I want to continue. I type in 'y', and then it executes and goes back to the command line for the next command. When I restart here, I get an error that says "error loading OS" form the BIOS.

Collapse -
"Exact" please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Try try again...

" it tells me that the MBR is damaged, and then asks me if I want to continue. I type in 'y', and then it executes and goes back to the command line for the next command. When I restart here, I get an error that says "error loading OS" form the BIOS."

Without the exact words, I can't narrow it down.

And remember that what you describe is proper if the BIOS virus protection is still working.

Bob

Collapse -
The Error
by ssimontis / September 16, 2004 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Try try again...

**CAUTION**
This Computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.
FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.
This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.
If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.
That is the error FIXMBR gives me.

Collapse -
Since you are starting over...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 11:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Since you are starting over...
by ssimontis / September 16, 2004 11:51 AM PDT

Didn't see this post before I posted before... I have the MaxBlast disk that came with my HD, and I will use it tomorrow.

Collapse -
Looks like a do over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 11:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Looks like a do over.
by ssimontis / September 17, 2004 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks like a do over.

I tried using the MAXBLAST 3 floppy to format my HD, still no luck. However, I still do have warranty on my hard drive. I think I might just take my hard drive back and get a new one.

Collapse -
FIXED!!!
by ssimontis / September 19, 2004 2:27 AM PDT

I decided to keep my HD after all. I got a diagnostic utility from maxtor.com and did a complete low level format of my hard drive, then used MAXBLAST 3 to format my drive with the NTFS file system. XP is installed now, and all I have to do is configure Windows now. Thank you so much for yourt help!

Collapse -
Re: FIXED!!! Always good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2004 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: FIXED!!!

Sorry that I couldn't find any other magic, but it was looking pretty grim for a bit. Wink

Bob

Collapse -
by Dart4403 / September 19, 2004 12:08 PM PDT

Use Dos FDISK to clear the hard drive and try it again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!