Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Error 8007002--Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)

by koangal / April 6, 2011 8:25 AM PDT

I cannot download this particular Windows update-Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330). I get the error 8007002 when I try. I didn't figure that out until today when I went to reset Windows updates from auto to manual. When I looked at the download log, this file shows failed over and over from way back in 4/28/09until now.

Please see Below the two ways I tried to fix the problem below, and the issues I encountered.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Try #1- I tried using the directions at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...error-80070002 to fix error 8007002.

But I get stuck at the double click on DataStore folder. I cannot gain access. I am using administrator. Adobe can't read it. The message I get is-"Adobe Reader could not open DataStore.edb because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged".

When I ran Filecure it indicated "no problems". So I am at a loss as to how to access the files so I can delete them (per directions at link provided).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try #2- I tried using this info from vistaheads.com website. C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\download\Install (assuming your main
hard-drive is C and install from there

When I got to the files in "install" each file was listed as a mix of numbers and letters, I have no idea what they mean.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium
eMachines T5226

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error 8007002--Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error 8007002--Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Skip SP1?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 8:36 AM PDT

My first thought is to skip SP1 and move onwards to SP2.

As to DataStor folder there are too many articles about how to gain access but your comment about administrator concerns me. Any admin is not God. All accounts must obey permissions so why not brush up on Windows Security and Permissions while you are tackling SP2?
Bob

Collapse -
I Believe SP1 Is Prerequisite
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Skip SP1?

But for the OP, try downloading the full SP1 installer using the instructions below to update Vista BEFORE running the installer. Make sure to update all hardware drivers before installing again.

Vista SP1 Full Installer
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

See the link below and compare your drivers, etc. with the list of problem items.. It will certainly help if you install those drivers before attempting SP1..
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5

Dicussion regarding preparation steps before running the installer:
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-2732976.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I'd see pieces of SP1 fail, then I move to SP2
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 10:15 AM PDT

And I'm done.

Collapse -
catch 22
by koangal / April 12, 2011 8:33 AM PDT

Grif, this is what I ran into

Link 1 says-"DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is available on Windows Update".

So then I go to Windows Update link and it says-"Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service packs are not available for installation through Windows Update.
Support for Windows Vista without any service packs installed ended on April 13, 2010. To continue receiving security updates for Windows, make sure you're running Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 (SP2)". That's the catch 22.

I did read through the entire article to see if there might be a way to access SP1 for one
PC. No solution.

The only thing I can think to try is dowloading the large file at link 1:
Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe434.5MB even though it is for just one PC.
What do you think?

Collapse -
I think you need to move forward.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2011 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: catch 22

I wonder how to explain to folk that you ignore the text and go get it anyway.
Bob

Collapse -
Use The Large Download.. That's Why I Posted It
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 12, 2011 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: catch 22

The smaller download uses an online installer and that's what we're trying to move away from. Use the full offline installer and...move on.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Success! (find my solution below)
by koangal / April 13, 2011 12:34 PM PDT

Well let me tell you the tale so that those in the future that happen upon this thread might find answers.

1) I tried to download the full online installer as suggested.

2) This time got stopped when PC security would not recognize the program and blocked it

3) I first tried disabling ALL security (McAfee and Windows)(set McAfee firewall and
scanning to go back on after restart)

4) Error again-it read "error code 0x8007002 See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?
linkID=101139 for details" from that error I found the following page

5) Found page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366#resolution2

6) On that page it was suggested I download "update readiness tools" The downloads are
listed on the page (for my PC I chose 32bit running with vista os-first choice listed)

7) I downloaded and ran rediness tools and read report (found 179 errors, fixed 178)

Cool I set all security off again (set McAfee firewall and scanning to go back on after
restart)

9) Again tried to download full online installer SP1

10) It took a long time (a couple hours), but it did finally all load

11) When I read "installation was successful" I was quite happy

I'm glad I was able to find my way through the maze that is error 80070002. Thank all of you who responded with suggestions. Now I'm going to try to install Service Pack 2. If you don't hear from me again everything went well. Namaste.

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, The "Update Readiness Tool" Helps Many
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 14, 2011 2:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
In conclusion
by koangal / April 15, 2011 10:04 AM PDT

My experience: if you start out with no service packs and you want SP2, plus all the updates, plus Internet Explorer 9-you are talking a full day of downloads.
I chose to split it into 2 days.

Day one: spent doing the steps 1-11 (previous post) to get SP1 downloaded on to my computer.

Day two:

1) checked for available updates-a TON were waiting, I'm assuming because I was
two years behind on downloading SP1. So I downloaded all available updates
then restarted computer.

2) Then I checked for updates again to get to SP2. I downloaded SP2. I restarted
my computer.

3) Then I checked one more time for updates. Now all the updates that are
available when you have SP2 showed up. And, that's right, I downloaded all
those updates. Restarted one more time.

4) Now I have SP2, completely updated Windows Vista, and I have the most recent
Internet Explorer-version 9.

And that is that.

Collapse -
I will try to donwload service pk 2
by koangal / April 6, 2011 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Skip SP1?

I have tried to get a response to this question from THREE other sites in the last week. NO ONE has responded though many have viewed my question. So thank you!

I think the fact that I have access to administrator might have left you with the impression that I am more tech savy than I actually am. I am quite the neophyte. I will take your suggestion and go to windows updates and try to find service pack 2 to download to my computer. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?