HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Error 7308

by balmain_bob / February 12, 2004 1:53 AM PST

Windows 98se.
Just recently at start up & prior to windows loading,I get a message 'Error 7308 cannot find driver.you may have to re-install driver type NET HELP at dos prompt & type 7308.'
Tried that & it says to re-install driver,but when I try & use my Windows 98se disk to re-install it states I'm using an updated version & can't install from disk.
Went to Microsoft site & used knowledge base & 7308 is referred to floppy drive,but my floppy is working alright.If my PC is idle for a half hour or so I get a Message regarding NETWORK DRIVER on repeat (I cancel & it reappears)have to go to Ctrl+ Alt Delete to reboot.
Anyone got any ideas.It would be appreciated.
Bob Phillips

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error 7308
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error 7308
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Error 7308 = You did something odd. DOS NETWORKING?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2004 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Error 7308

You can remark out those DOS NETWORKING "NET" commands and such now.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Error 7308 = You did something odd. DOS NETWORKING?
by balmain_bob / February 13, 2004 3:16 AM PST

How?
Bob Phillips

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Error 7308 = You did something odd. DOS NETWORKING?
by Cursorcowboy / February 13, 2004 4:16 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Error 7308 = You did something odd. DOS NETWORKING?
by balmain_bob / February 13, 2004 7:44 AM PST

Many thanks Cursorcowboy.Will get right on to it.
Bob Phillips

Collapse -
Re:Error 7308
by JenDScot / February 15, 2004 5:44 AM PST

It sounds like you get this issue when your system goes into power save or stand by mode. How is your network set up, are you password protected when you leave your system idle? Recheck your power management settings and look for password protects.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Error 7308
by balmain_bob / February 16, 2004 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Error 7308

Thanks Jen
Will have a look there.But still can't work out what driver it is looking for in DOS.
Bob Phillips

Collapse -
Let me be blunt. DOS networking is RARE! You don't want it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Error 7308

Edit your config.sys, autoexec.bat to not use such.

BOb

Collapse -
Re:Error 7308
by jpierce / May 23, 2004 11:17 PM PDT

I am running WIN98 on a Gateway Essential. I have talk fax talk software. Each time I boot up as the system goes into the DOS mode for the brief moment I keep getting the 7308 error. I can not seem to find and correct the error. I even tried a reinstall of 98 but it won't let me reinstall.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Error 7308. Reinstall won't fix it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2004 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Error 7308

The windows installer won't touch your autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

Remember that 98 is from a time when you were expected to edit these files as well as know what they do. While this sound terrible, this OS has been out some 6 years and hasn't been offered for many years. No upgrades to make it easier on you are expected.

So dive into the mentioned files to remark out the dos networking.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.