Question

Error 0x80070017

I'm installing a copy of Windows 8 Pro onto a PC so I can get a free upgrade to 8.1 and another free one to 10. I put the installatation media in the optical drive, powered it on, and the setup appeared. I put in the activation key, and it worked. I chose custom install, and I chose my Intel 320 series 80Gb ssd to install it on. The install goes, but then it freezes at 32% for a few minutes, and then the installation stops due to error 0x80070017, is there a fix?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Error 0x80070017
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Error 0x80070017
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Error

That error points to a media problem.

Perhaps make a copy of that disc and try with the copy.

- Collapse -
Bootable usb

Thanks, I tried installing it on a hard drive and I got the same error, so it's the media. I'm thinking that putting it on a bootable usb. Will that work?

- Collapse -
You have to try it.

The errror could be source or destination. Let's cover a common gaffe which could result in such. Did you happen to format the destination ahead of the install? Don't.

Give Windows a blank, no partition HDD to install to.

- Collapse -
I Tried it

I made a bootable usb with windows media creator. I tried to install Windows on that computer again, and it said I don't have proper drivers. Now it's a totally different problem. Does anyone know where to get these drivers?

- Collapse -
I've seen that error

When the target drive was partitioned and formatted ahead of the install. Are you sure the target drive was blank? As in no partitions?

Also, I see no make, model of the PC. It may be incompatible but at this point I am working it as if it's fine and it's a procedural issue.

- Collapse -
What is this machine?

Make and model?

If it's a custom make and model of the mobo.

Some machines can not be upgraded to w8 let alone w10.

- Collapse -
Answer
I'm seeing some early SSD failures.

How old is that Intel 320?

Try this again but with another drive as well as what Kees noted.

CNET Forums