Peripherals forum

Question

Erratic Printing on HP Officejet Pro 8500 (A909)

Computer: Dell Opti-Plex 390 using Windows 10 O.S.
Printer: HP Officejet Pro 8500 (A909)

I'm trying to help a friend with his HP8500 deskjet pro - getting it to print. It will print eMails but nothing else and that printout looks great. I did the install of the download that my friend already had sitting on his desktop.

I typed two sentences in MS Word and tried to get that to print with no luck. The printer goes through the Print Routine, however, the paper is blank when it comes through.

The printer will not copy documents either.

I checked the HP Update selection and it came back with no new updates, but I believe HP no longer supports this printer. Also, I thought the hangup might be MS Word but there were no updates for that either.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem with the printer - maybe something in the settings that needs to be done??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Erratic Printing on HP Officejet Pro 8500 (A909)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Erratic Printing on HP Officejet Pro 8500 (A909)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell more about

In reply to: Erratic Printing on HP Officejet Pro 8500 (A909)

"The printer will not copy documents either." The model I saw had a photo copy option and I worry about a thing. HP had an update that locked out 3rd part ink carts. Check to see if the ink carts are HP.

And the copy option works without a PC so unless it's the 3rd part ink issue, the printer is likely dying.

Collapse -
Cartridge Replacement Problems

In reply to: Tell more about

Thanks for a quick reply!
Yes, there was at least one Recycled cartridge in place, put there by the local Tech Shop!
I've already told my friend that the recycled cartridge may be a problem. Maybe that is the whole problem.

But, I cannot see the printer printing eMails and then not printing a MS Word document. Weird!

Collapse -
The HP ink issue is in the news.

In reply to: Cartridge Replacement Problems

Who knows if email does some carts and not the other where the copy usually uses all the carts.

I shortchanged you about the HP Ink Cart Story. Be sure to google that next. Save yourself a lot of time here.

HP has relented and will undo the lockout RSN (real soon now.) But for now, I think you found Waldo.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
maybe a fonts problem

The printer is 7 years old and windows 10 is very new and I think it's running a new font set, so I suspect the printer doesn't have that mapped/coded into it yet. Set an older font on what you want to print and see if it works OK then. If so, look for upgrade software for the printer which will update the access to it.

Collapse -
Answer
newer software

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.