Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

erratic mouse

by JANN74 / July 11, 2005 3:35 AM PDT

I have been posting this problem on the mouse forum, but got the suggestion that maybe this forum would give me some help. I purchased a new Dell
demension 4600 with Windows XP Home already installed. My ISP is cable "Comcast". About two weeks after installing my Dell mouse started all this erratic movement. PC so slow, could hardly move mouse.Talked with Dell, did all they suggested. Dell sent new mouse. Same thing happened. I went to Radio Shack, bought Compaq wireless opitcal mouse and Compaq Optical Mouse. Wanted to make sure it was Dell mouse that was at fault. Same things happened. Have done everything I could think of, installed Ad aware, Windows Reg. Repair, System Restore - Dell has been no help, neither has any of Comcast Forums, etc. Have not contacted Windows except to set PC for automatic Critical Downloads. Has anyone else had this problem.Please help. JANN74

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: erratic mouse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: erratic mouse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've heard that some viruses can do that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 11, 2005 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: erratic mouse

What steps are you taking to protect yourself from hackers, viruses and spyware?

Mark

Collapse -
erratic mouse
by JANN74 / July 11, 2005 10:50 AM PDT

I currently have McAfee Virus Scan, Personal Firewall and Privacy Service. What would you advise?
JANN74

Collapse -
Hi, Jann. When you get enough Spyware resident....
by tobeach / July 11, 2005 4:34 PM PDT

in your machine (even if not Virus) weird things can happen (including mouse & slowdown).
I would suggest you download &install & update, restart computer, and Then scan with BOTH of the following available in these links. Anything the scans list as a problem, allow them to remove. Enough spyware can bog you down to nothing.For 1st link add word: free after# sign.
Adaware1.06:http:www.lavasoft.de/support/download/#
SpybotS&D1.4:http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
Both are free versions. While at adaware page,lower right "Add-Ons" might as well dnld VX2 cleaner & both of Messenger & OE W Messenger. Once Adaware installed just double click the add-ons exes and they'll auto install into Adaware Add-ons button. Good to have. I activated both messenger blocks and scan for VX2(very bad!!) occassionally. You should run these scans at least weekly & use built in updaters before doing scans. If you haven't used before, don't faint if they find more than 100 items to remove. 'Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Re: erratic mouse
by Papa Echo / July 11, 2005 1:01 PM PDT

Please explain "erratic movement". Assuming that your computer is free of viruses and parasites, try booting into Safe Mode, go to Device Manager--->Mouse and other pointing devices, and delete every instance of mice you have installed. Reboot into Normal mode and let Windows detect and install the mouse of your choice. If USB mouse, install drivers, if necessary, before connecting the mouse.

Collapse -
this may help
by tonina8r / July 11, 2005 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: erratic mouse

I have a Mac, but I don't think that that would effect the outcome of what I'm proposing;
1. Do you have a joystick plugged in while using the mouse, this "erratic mouse behaviour" occured on my computer when I had my joystick and mouse plugged in at the same time.

2. Do you have any other hardware plugged in while you use this mouse? If so pull them out, and try again.

3. Have you got the latest drivers for your mouse and other hardware, try reinstalling them and try again.

4. Get Norton Antivirus and try a virus scan, also check for adware and spyware.

5. If you still have no success, try reinstalling Windows XP.

6. Still no luck? Well now is time to call someone in.

Hope this helps, tonina8r

Collapse -
erratic mouse
by jahan / July 11, 2005 9:06 PM PDT

I've seen this problem caused by video card drivers.
Go to your video card maker's website and download the latest driver.

Collapse -
erratic mouse
by JANN74 / July 15, 2005 12:32 AM PDT

First, I want to thank everyone that posted to help me. I downloaded some of the security help, cleaned up PC and are now using the Compaq rechargeable wireless opitcal mouse. Right now it is working perfectly. But am holding my breath. Again, thank you.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad you got it sorted Jann
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 3:54 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.