Cameras forum

"Err99" code in Canon display screen

by revbochuk / August 10, 2011 12:25 AM PDT

HELP!! I have a three year old Canon EOS Rebel XTi. Recently I tried to take a photo, and after snapping the shot was greeted with a message in the display screen that read: "Err99" The instructions said to "Turn the power switch off and on, and/or reinstall the battery." I have done this repeatedly with no change in my ability to take photos. What is going on, since I waited so long to purchase an upscale digital 35mm camera and now have this problem. Is this a common problem with this model of camera? I called a camera store in OKC and was told they could fix it but it would cost about $250. This is ridiculous!! I thought Canon sold a good quality product. I am thinking I should stayed with my Minolta SRT101. Please help as I'm going on a trip the first week of September and wanted to take the Canon with me (along with my Nikon Cool-Pix).
Thank you, Charles Baumann

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Err99" code in Canon display screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Err99" code in Canon display screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
New Battery
by PistonCupChampion / August 10, 2011 2:28 AM PDT

I would try installing a new battery to see if that solves the problem. If it does not, then you will know the problem lies with the camera.

Collapse -
by revbochuk / August 10, 2011 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: New Battery

Thanks for the advise, but I have already done this -- with no success.

Collapse -
by PistonCupChampion / August 10, 2011 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Err99
Collapse -
by revbochuk / August 10, 2011 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

Thank you for your suggestion. The batteries I have are both fully charged, but are not brand new. How long should these batteries last? Thank you also for the link to instructions for a reset. Unfortunately after trying this twice I still get the "Err99" code and am unable to take photos.

Collapse -
Rechargeables get about 300 cycles then are suspect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 6:36 AM PDT

While we often get more, figure 18 months if we use them a lot.

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 7:36 AM PDT

Canon uses the same error codes for all their DSLR cameras.
Canon uses that code as a catch-all.
If something happens that the camera can not diagnose, it reports Err99.

It can be something transient or associated with bad connections of many types.

Try another lens and see if you continue to get the Err99.
Do the same for memory card and battery.

Clean the contacts on the lens and body.

Some people report that they had to have the shutter mechanism replaced.

If you are unable to clear the error then you should call Canon Service.

Collapse -
by ylekyot / August 15, 2011 3:37 AM PDT

i had this same problem with my 20d when i first purchased it years ago. i had to take out the batteries and then replace them and it would work. turned out is was a problen with the vertical grip and canon had a program to fix it.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?