Tech Deals forum

General discussion

Ericsson giveaway

by kerbro / October 14, 2009 2:02 PM PDT

Does anyone have information re a so called promotion by Ericsson to give away a T18 laptop to anyone who sends forwards an email to 8 people. I keep getting these types of emails from people I know and I would like to be able to check the validity of the offer. I have warned friends about sending mass emails to everyone they know because of the virus concerns, but is there a central clearinghouse so to speak that these types of offers can be verified and possibly put and end to my acquaintances sending these items.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ericsson giveaway
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ericsson giveaway
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check Snopes
by mindsurge / October 15, 2009 5:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Ericsson giveaway
Collapse -
Great suggestion!
by jennywren1420 / October 17, 2009 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Check Snopes

I do that, too, and for any questionable matter, not just those pertaining to technology. It has set right so many of the hoaxes or misapprehensions sent to me by well-meaning friends and family members,

That was a good question, too, by the way. It's too bad that we have to be so cautious, but prudence requires that, doesn't it?

Best,

jenny

Collapse -
great suggestion
by kerbro / October 19, 2009 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Great suggestion!

Thanks to all who replied to my question. The snopes.com site sealed the deal. I forward the site information to a few friends who are the prolific senders of this type of email. I know for a fact that they are computer novices, so I also included a lecture re cutting and pasting and not arbitrarily forwarding emails with 100 addresses on them and an invitation to check out cnet. Five hours later one of the two sent me an email with the same huge address list and the subject was something inane. Some people either don't read,don't care or are just not overly endowed with cerebal matter. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Some things are pretty obvious
by johnb3950 / October 23, 2009 11:30 AM PDT

I have to say that any idea of getting a free laptop for making an email chain is pretty obviously fake from the get-go. You send it to 8 people. Each sends it to 8 people. They are all seeing the same crap about a laptop. That's 73 laptops right there..I don't think so! Give it a few days and 8 to the nth gets astronomical!
Basically go with the good ol' rule - if it seems too good to be true, it probably is!

Collapse -
RE: Checking Validity of this story
by Skeeter651942 / November 13, 2009 4:00 PM PST

M best advice & strong suggestion is to go to; www.snopes.com They have all kinds of stuff like this on their web site & you can find out what's true, or false, or a mixture. This goes for anything like this that you want to check out. As it happens, I believe you'll find that this is not true. But go to the above mentioned web site & check for your self. Skeeter651942

Collapse -
Ericsson Giveaway
by tduffy1770 / November 17, 2009 5:30 AM PST

Check out this type of email at snopes.com. Now think about this,,,, do you ever get something for nothing worth that much?????

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?