Computer Help forum

General discussion

Eric Franklin, Senior Associate Technology Editor live!

Ask the editors live! Topic: Computer monitors

Are you feeling lost when it comes to picking out a computer monitor? Well, never fear, Eric is here! Our special host for this upcoming Ask the Editors Live chat event will be with CNET Senior associate technology editor, Eric Franklin, who will be here to answer all your questions about computer monitors--ranging from buying advice to defining technical specs for you! So join us on Thursday, September 18, at 11 a.m. Pacific Time (2 p.m. Eastern) and hit up Eric with your monitor questions. Don't miss out!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Eric Franklin, Senior Associate Technology Editor live!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Eric Franklin, Senior Associate Technology Editor live!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may now begin the questioning...

In reply to: Eric Franklin, Senior Associate Technology Editor live!

Computer monitors is the topic, ask away!

Collapse -
24" gaming/movie/light picture editing LCD

Hi, Im having difficulties choosing the right monitor for the above mentioned conditions. I have a NEC 20WGX2, which is a great glossy monitor, but I would like something bigger.
Looking at tftcentral.co.uk helped a little bit, and the HP LP2475W looks like a winner. But, I have a workplace, where glossy works great, and I have seen the HP, and the colors are definitely not so "nice".
There are really just a few glossy 24" out now. Should I wait?
What is your opinion?

TN panel is not an option... PVA or IPS is what Im looking for.

Thanks a lot!!

Collapse -
24" glossy huh?

In reply to: 24" gaming/movie/light picture editing LCD

Sorry for the delay there. my monitor decided it didnt want to receive a video signal anymore.

have you checked out the HP 2408h? i have it right next to me and it's great so far. glossy, screen, great color in movies and games. only problem is the lower viewing angle. i'll prolly have a review up next week of it. if you're not married to glossy screen however i'd recommend the dell 2408wfp, it's still the best 24" display i've yet seen http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-2408wfp/4505-3174_7-32886455.html

Collapse -
Glossy

Actually, I have seen the hp 2408 today in comparison with the samsung 245T. Its not so bad...I will wait for your review - seeing it in a shop, and seeing some game testing are 2 worlds.

Well, the dell is not my taste tbh Happy

Im interested, if you have any info about some upcoming 24 inchers worth waiting for...
sth like this: Click here

Thanks

Collapse -
pretty

In reply to: Glossy

Well BenQ def knows how to make interesting lookin displays and the performance is usually good to. i never pay attention to specs like 10,000:1 contrast ratio though, cause unless it's LED backlit then thats just BS. thanks for the tip though. i'm gonna contact Benq to see if i can get that one in soon. any other's u like me to review?

Collapse -
photo editing /video/ general use monitor

My desktop's highest screen resolution output is 1280 x 1024. So the biggest monitor that I should get with a native resolution matching is a 19 inch, right?

If I wanted to increase my screen resolution output I'd have to install a new video card, right?

How do I find out what kind of card my system can handle?

Sony Vaio PCV-RS630G
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.20E GHz
2gb ram
1MB L2 Cache
ATI Radeon

Collapse -
9200 should be good enuff

In reply to: photo editing /video/ general use monitor

hey dan. it's gonna depend onna few things.

1. is yer motherboard PCI-E or AGP compatible?

2. what's the watt rating on your power supply?

However the 9200 can handle resolutions of up to 2048 x 1536 according to its specs. which monitor are you currently using? is it connected via VGA or DVI?

Collapse -
media extender

want to buy a media extender. Any recommendations?

Collapse -
never tried em...

In reply to: media extender

honestly i dont have any experience with media extenders. however there is an awesome site that instrumental in helping me choose my latest TV. it's avsforum.com they actually have a thread that may be able to help u http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=814246

Collapse -
AutoCAD and 3D rendering Monitor

I have been researching to find a good 20"-24" monitor for CAD and 3D rendering. I can't seem to find a monitor made for those types of applications. The $1,500 NECs are out of the question. I can't afford it.

Collapse -
yeah, thats a problem

In reply to: AutoCAD and 3D rendering Monitor

unfortunately, monitors that value precision over all else, are going to cost you. i've seen some for as low as 1000 from Eizo, but i cant speak to the quality. lemme see if i can get a couple 3d rendering buddies of mine to weigh in on this

Collapse -
more specs

1) Expansion Slots:
One 8x AGP (occupied by Graphics
Card)
Three PCI (two occupied)

2) I'm not sure how to determine my watt rating, Here's what my spec sheet says:
Power Requirements:
Min. 266W 100-120V 4.7A (50/60Hz)
Power Management
ACPI 1.0 Compliant
Hope this is what you're asking.

3) When I go to
properties and then
settings
the highest screen res choice I have is 1280 x 1024.

I'm using a 17" Sharp LL-T17A3 lcd which is pretty bad & a Gateway vx750 crt which is better but small.
Both only have vga connectors.

Collapse -
i see

In reply to: more specs

Yeah, your VGA connection and your monitor are what's limiting your resolution. getting a larger monitor with a DVI connection would solve your problem. forget all the power supply crap i said before pls Happy

Collapse -
Dual 22"+ monitors suggestions?

I have always been a gamer and chose my monitors based on gamers reviews. Now, I still plan on gaming but I want a dual monitor set up for when I am doing website design and the like. I am looking for two monitors 22" or 24" in size. What would you suggest without totally breaking my bank?

Collapse -
good question

In reply to: Dual 22"+ monitors suggestions?

Collapse -
24" review

Well, there is an older monitor the NEC MultiSync LCD2470WNX, which looks pretty good in some reviews...but its difficult to judge it. It was expensive when it came to the market, but now has a very affordable price. So maybe it would be a nice review roundup. Happy

One more question: How is it with LED backlighting? Which 24" have led backlighting? Are there any? I know its a huge difference having ccfl or led...so maybe worth waiting??

thanks

Collapse -
lenovo

In reply to: 24" review

Collapse -
T260 VS. T260HD

hey,
Ive been looking to buy one of these monitors mainly for gaming purposes including pc gaming and some xbox orginial. I was also thinking about hooking up dvd player for better quality. ANYWAY, my question is, what is the difference between the Samsung T260 and Samsung T260 HD

Collapse -
features

In reply to: T260 VS. T260HD

basically the HD is a TV that acts as a monitor. it has a built in TV tuner and multiple HDMI ports. also it has a coaxial input for OTA HD. also it has digital audio and component connections.

so yeah, IMO the features make it worth it

Collapse -
30" quality

Hi. What's the highest quality 30" display? I have my eye on HP's, but like Apple's exterior design. Are there larger monitors close release in the next 6 months?

Collapse -
my fave...

In reply to: 30" quality

is still the gateway extreme HD 30". it has the most features with the best overall picture quality. the samsung synmaster 305T is a close 2nd. i didn't care much for the dell 3008wfp, but the 3007WFP was quite good. i've not heard anything about increasing monitor sizes but that seems to be the direction the industry is goin. well that and LED backlights

Collapse -
HDTV / pc monitor

What features and specifications should I be looking for in a better than average monitor for the pc that is also a HDTV.

Collapse -
try..

In reply to: HDTV / pc monitor

make sure it has at least one HDMI port. a TV tuner and coaxial connection helps as well. check out the samsung 240HD. i'll have a review of it next week

Collapse -
size monitor?

what size monitor is the most popular right now?

Collapse -
cant say for certain

In reply to: size monitor?

but i see a lot of 22" and 24"
displays

Collapse -
Thanks

Was very informative...it looks like I will be waiting for your reviews...and for LED backlighting Grin

Collapse -
Can I get a widescreen monitor?

Would my video card be able to work with a widescreen monitor or do I have to get a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor?

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
it would

In reply to: Can I get a widescreen monitor?

It's compatible with widescreen, just remember to update the drivers

Collapse -
Thank you all so much for coming

That's all the time i have today guys. Thx SO much much for coming. shoot me an email at efranklin@cnet.com if i didn't answer yer questions and i'll try to get one for u. thanks again

Check out CNET

Collapse -
best pc monitor for gaming

ok im a huge gamer and i like the monitors because of space and the fact you can get 1080p in a 24 inch monitor insted of 40 inches in hdtv.i had the gateay fpd2185w to play 360 and ps3 games on.after i found out that i couldnt get 1080p on it i went out in search for another monitor.the problem im having is with how dark some of the monitors are.like they look great when it comes to like internet photos,etc.but when it comes to like dark games like dead rising for the 360 the game was way to dark on the gateway.ajusting the contrast only made it worst.so know i have the gateway fhd2401.its a good monitor for gaming but i can still tell its a little dark at times.so whats the best monitor for gaming and movies that can get 1080p.i have like two more weeks before to decide if this is the monitor i want to keep.thanks for the help man.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.