Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

equivalent of Pentium 4 2.4 ghz on AMD?

by te_re_143 / August 8, 2005 4:41 PM PDT

I want to build an AMD base pc that is equivalent with my current unit, it is Pentium 4 2.4 ghz. But if I ask you is AMD reliable? What's the difference between Pentium and AMD? What do you recommend? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: equivalent of Pentium 4 2.4 ghz on AMD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: equivalent of Pentium 4 2.4 ghz on AMD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / August 8, 2005 4:55 PM PDT

Assuming its socket 939, any will beat it. Even the lowest athlon 64 woudl beat it. The difference is the integrated frontsidebus/ memory controller or hypertransport. ANd the pipelines on the processor, i forget one was fat and short and the other is long and thin.

Roger

Collapse -
equivalent of Pentium 4 2.4 ghz on AMD?
by jcrobso / August 9, 2005 3:30 AM PDT

Well you didn't say how much you wanted to spend???
Most any current AMD processor will be faster than a P4 2.4.
You have a choice of 32 bit, 64bit and 64bit dual core processors. again how much do you want to spend? John

Collapse -
Well...
by John.Wilkinson / August 9, 2005 4:22 AM PDT

To be equivalent, you could pick up an AMD Athlon XP 2400+, but why would you want to do that? Personally I would never buy a new computer to get exactly what I already have...not taking the opportunity to upgrade is a waste of money. Personally, I'd settle for nothing less than an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 939). That will give you a big performance upgrade, plus set you up for the future with a 64-bit processor. Then, for true power, look into AMD's X2 or FX-57 processors...wave hello to the future and goodbye to that stack of gold in your basement at the same time. Wink

As far as AMD in general, they're really good. I was with Intel up until December, when I picked up an HP with an AMD Athlon 64 3300+. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back, knowing that my AMD runs cooler, offers better production, is more easilly overclocked, and costs less than its Intel equivalent. I'm planning on building my own computer here shortly, and an Intel processor hasn't even crossed my mind.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Yep AMD's 90 NM socket 939's
by Ray Harinec / August 9, 2005 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

run cooler than their 130 NM. Intel can't say that. They have a serious cooling problem but don't make much mention of it, except that they can't run their Dual Core at the single core's speed because it gets too hot.

The theory of AMD's silly numbering system is as you say a 2400+ should match an ntel 2.4. etc. It really depends on what applications are being run.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by te_re_143 / August 9, 2005 1:42 PM PDT

Thanks for all the informations, well as of now I'll research more about AMD! Thanks!

Collapse -
You might like . . .
by phantazy / August 9, 2005 5:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!