Equipment required to extend internet 250’ w/ CAT6

My new house is 250’ from my outbuilding. I have buried conduit running between them. My ISP technician gave me enough heavy duty cable to run the whole distance. I have a wireless router at one end and need internet at the other. What equipment do I need to get internet at the other end please?

Discussion is locked

Reply to: Equipment required to extend internet 250’ w/ CAT6
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Equipment required to extend internet 250’ w/ CAT6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
An Ethernet cable.
- Collapse -

Understood, thank you but that wasn't the question.

- Collapse -
Let's say you run 100 meters of cable to there.

You plug one end into your router or switch and then at the other end of the 100 meter cable into your PC or such. The PC should if this is wired correctly have Internet access.

So all it takes is the cable to do what you asked.

Now if you meant to supply WiFi in the area, you didn't ask for that.

- Collapse -

No, I didn't ask for that. Let's ask that now.
What would I require to have a wifi signal at that end?
Also... Is it possible to tap off the main wire coming onto the property from the street and split the signal to two routers?
I don't have cable or phone service - just internet.
Much appreciated.

- Collapse -
Split is done with...

A common network switch. You put your Ethernet into some switched hub and you get 4 to more Ethernet ports. I am writing this because a few cheaps tried "Ethernet Splitters" and discovered these are not what they wanted.

As to WiFi, you put an Ethernet cable from said switch to a WAP (wireless access point) or what I use instead, a router configured as a WAP (google that phrase to see how common this is.)

- Collapse -

I'll Google Access point.
Should I expect any "signal loss" over that kind of distance?

- Collapse -

I missed a thing.

You wrote " it possible to tap off the main wire coming onto the property from the street and split the signal to two routers?"

Not really. Most ISPs support just one modem and router. And those that support more than one modem (you can't split without that modem) they charge another fee so you are paying double what you pay now.

This is what most folk use the usual...

Internet (modem or such) to the router -> to switches, WAPs and routers set to be WAPs.

- Collapse -

Thanks for your clear explanation.
You've set me on the right track.
Any thoughts on "signal loss" over that distance?


- Collapse -
WiFi yes. Ethernet, no.

Ethernet is full speed up to its rated distance unlike WiFi.

- Collapse -
Cool, thanks again.


CNET Forums

Forum Info