Peripherals forum

General discussion

Epson scanner question

by Marie Boyer / June 18, 2005 12:49 PM PDT

I have an Epson Perfection 2580. It has been great. Press a button and photo is on my computer. It is fairly new, about 6 months old.

Tonight I started scanning photos for my next video project. The first few were great. Then all of a sudden each photo went onto my computer with red streaks, and when imported into Elements it looked like the scan was reading the whole document table and not just the photo (the photo would be sitting at the top of the scanned image with colored lines streaming down from the photo, as if bleeding; rest of scanned image is while background).

I got out my manual and tried all the troubleshooting recommendations. None helped.

I doubt it is a defective product because it was just working beautifully! (The only thing I did that was different was place a colored sheet of paper behind multiple photos to scan multiples simultaneously into Photoshop Elements. I abandoned that for unrelated reasons.)

If you can offer suggestions or possible websites for me to study, I will be so grateful. (Sorry for length of message).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Epson scanner question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Epson scanner question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds typical.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2005 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Epson scanner question

Try rebooting and trying again, but when the scanners fail, what you wrote is typical.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, I re-booted
by Marie Boyer / June 19, 2005 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds typical.

and the problem is still there (although the scanned image is back to the proper size--it still has the red, streaky lines). I updated the driver, and the problem (red streaky lines like a special effect) is still there.

I scanned a white sheet of paper and the image did not have red streaky lines, but instead had a very thin blotchy green coloration.

My next question, somewhat hopeful: Does this sound like it could be a coloration problem?

Or is it looking even more like equipment failure?

Your thoughts much appreciated.

Collapse -
That's helpful and ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2005 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob, I re-booted

Typical of the scanner's sensor element is failing. Some don't want to hear this and slip into denial mode, but your words are true to what you see when the scanner is on it's last day.

The downside is that repair can exceed the price of a new scanner.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, you were right, of course!
by Marie Boyer / June 21, 2005 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: That's helpful and ...

My scanner was dead. Best Buy replaced it tonight, no questions asked.

Mind if I ask a newbie follow-up question? The new scanner identical to the old with the same software. I had recently updated the drivers on the old one. Can I just plug the new one in and run it on the old software or do I have to uninstall the old software and install the new?

Collapse -
you should be ok..
by jackintucson / June 22, 2005 4:01 AM PDT

actually your "old" software is the latest and greatest.. same with updated drivers... leave it alone.

jack

Collapse -
Me?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 4:22 AM PDT

I always give it a shot if its the same model. If it's a new model, I uninstall the old and follow the directions with the new one.

I know it sounds odd to follow directions....

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!