The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Episode 38 is up - Home Networking

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Episode 38 is up - Home Networking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Episode 38 is up - Home Networking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Home Networking

In reply to: Episode 38 is up - Home Networking

Oy, how many times have I done this with a friend. I also had to wire an existing 5 story business when I was younger in my Network Admin days.

The best job I ever had a hand in was a guy who built his house with conduit piping. That way if anything ever changed, it was easy to replace. I know it sounds silly but it really wasn't that expensive in the end. Think central vacuum systems! He did land up using basic Cat5 with a base 100 network, cards and router. As for the type of router and NICs I wouldn't worry much, they all do the job.

Personally I have three rooms networked through the heating system at my place. My "computer room" has 5 computers networked and the living room has my Vista/PVR box. They are all hardwired along with a jack in the bedroom.

I have wireless G running on the laptops and for what the laptops do, they work just fine.

As for the networks, I'm running Vista, XP, Linux and an old Novell box and the network works just fine, but for beginners stick with Vista and for once, I think MS did a good job on setting all that up.

Just some thoughts I thought I would put down, I'm sure many of us could talk on this forever. Heck, I've even seen a network piggyback existing telephone systems in a house. So many things...

Collapse -
My Network

I have both wireless and wired routers. My PC connects to the wired router, which goes to the wall and I plan to add another server later. I also have a wireless router plugged into wired one because I ran out of ports. My printer plugs into the wireless router, which allows me to print from my laptop which uses the wireless connection. The PC has Win2000 and the laptop has XP Pro, so I'm able to access files remotely from either PC using file sharing.

I have a one story home, so the wireless signal is strong throughout the whole house. I have to agree with Tom, the internet speed is faster when your PC is plugged into the router. But I have Verizon FIOS, so it really isn't that noticeable for me. Am I bragging?

I've never had a basement, so I'm not sure if there'd be any risk in setting up down there. Your wireless signal may not be as strong because it would have to travel 2 floors. I'd consider using wireless access points to solve that issue.

I would also talk to the builder. My builder didn't allow us to add wiring during the framing of the house due to inspections. But some builders have companies that will do the wiring for you (for an extra fee of course). Although they were able to drop ethernet lines in the room for about $30 a line.

Collapse -
Home Network

Tom,

You did a nice job of hitting the high points.

I might have built some future into the network wiring that our friend is going for. It sounded as though he was trying to make sure that he got as much bang for the buck that he could get and it might be a good idea for him to invest in some Cat6 and a gigabit router, especially if FIOS ever hits his neighborhood. The other reason I would go for the better option is looking forward to file sharing and potentially streaming. I would hate for him to have a router logjam. The other suggestion that I would make is to put as many jacks and as much wire that he could afford and by a cheap switch that could handle about 15-20 drops and then his router could be a standard wireless router w/4 hardwire jacks. This would make his system upgradeable easily and at least deal with the infrastructure early on.

I would be surprised if a Linksys Wireless G router wouldn't handle at least two stories and 900 sq ft. on each floor.

My $0.02 hits the table.

dougwalk in livermore

Collapse -
my opinion

he should have at least a plug in each room he wants to use a desktop...
like 2 or 3 rooms, or "living room, all bedrooms, office room"
and a wi-fi router, with repeaters, if necessary

but it's too inconvenient to leave the routers and repeaters powered on 24/7
so i suggest leaving the network infra structure next to his main desktop computer...

and make the plugs in the wall next to the power plugs in the wall, as even with a notebook, you will really need a power supply

so "wi-fi" is not so "wi-fi", unless you get infinite battery
and if you are going plug your computer in the wall anyway, i suggest plugging it with a wired connection too!

safer, faster, reliable

Collapse -
Wired if you can

i have a an apple airport in my basement and i get reception on both upper floors without any problem using 'g'. if i have a choice i would certainly love ethernet jacks anywhere i had a TV (bedrooms, family room). it seems like more and more electronics will have network capability and i'm not sure what happens to the performance of wireless when the number of devices starts to grow. i have my main laptop on the wireless and my other computer is wired to the router, so i've never really had any issues.

you could try to get the builder to install some PVC pipes to act as cables chases between floors and rooms, but many times they won't do it because they want you to pay them a premium for doing the wiring for you instead.

kevin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.