Peripherals forum

General discussion

Environmentally friendly printers

I'm trying to find information on what printers are the most environmentally friendly. I bought an Epson inkjet several years ago, and they say the cartridges aren't recyclable, but HP cartridges are. I'm also considering a laser printer, and want to know what the environmental issues are there too. But so far I haven't found any info on this on cnet. Can someone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Environmentally friendly printers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Environmentally friendly printers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Environmentally friendly printers

In reply to: Environmentally friendly printers

HP may have the edge here. Their program of laser cartridge return have been around for years. Now they have implemented more avenues to return spent cartridges, printers and PCs back to HP for them to deal with.

Your discussion is not about ink refills.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Environmentally friendly printers

If you're in the USA, many a shop may have a "return envelope" w/free shipping to return *ANY* ink cart of any brand, provided it fits of course. As for laser toner empties, HP and others provide a return box or service for same to again return to HP or namebrand source. Many office supply outlets accept ink or toner carts and may even provide an item in exchange. offcie Max, give a ream of paper for orginal ink cart empty. Also, Ofiice or Offic eDeport accept computer items as thier drop-off points. IBM and HP I believe accept these as well when you buy a new system. So look around and/or go online and check for it.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Re: Environmentally friendly/For something to get clean

something else must get dirty. Yours is a good question and deserves a lot of thought IMHO. But, one must keep things in perspective. When you recycle, it might just mean that you don't have to see the item in your own trash. As was mentioned in the other posts, there are recycling avenues. Some schools and non-profit organizations have cartridge recycling programs which provide cash or goods for such items. You can research this. Office supply centers allow you to drop off cartridges and then they sell their own brand of compatibles. Hmmm, could your cartridge deposit be refilled and resold to you eventually? A bigger problem may be the printer itself. A cheap printer may have nearly as much bulk as a better one but last a shorter time. Hence, more waste may be generated by these over time. Again, some manufacturers have recycling programs for hardware and some of these are fee based. Find out what happens to the printer once it's returned as sometimes these can be exchange "come ons" that allow you a discount on a new piece of hardware produced by that manufacturer. Beware of one that offers a competitive trade in as these will take another manufacturers item as well. These may not get recycled but just dumped to get it out of circulation.
Now, to emphasize my opening remark...you can get injet refill kits. These might or might not work for you. You may be happy to get multiple uses from a cartridge before you toss it. Some recyclers don't want refilled ones, however, and you still have the plastic refill kit to dispose of eventually. I'm not trying to talk you out of your "earth friendly" intentions. I applaud and we attempt such in our home. Study and do it wisely as manufacturers have their businesses in mind first and, for some of them, waste improves their bottom line. Great question!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.