HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Environmental "OOPS"?

by Steven Haninger / August 18, 2014 5:23 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Environmental "OOPS"?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Environmental "OOPS"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Archimedes and small children saw this coming.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Environmental "OOPS"?
Collapse -
(NT) and politicians only saw votes coming.
by Steven Haninger / August 18, 2014 6:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) I thought they only see dollar signs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 6:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: First the wind farms kill
by JP Bill / August 18, 2014 6:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Of course...and cats too
by Steven Haninger / August 18, 2014 6:55 AM PDT

Buildings, windows, ambient light from cities during migration are all hazards but my mention is specific to alternative energy solutions just noting that it's not without pain. Notice my link is from a .ca site? Now if we could just get our Canada Geese redirected to that solar energy site, it would definitely be a lot cleaner in my neighborhood.

Collapse -
I went across the border last week
by JP Bill / August 18, 2014 7:05 AM PDT

Saw about 2 dozen geese on the lawn on the US side near US Customs on the lawn....Brought a smile to my face.

Collapse -
Don't you have gyrfalcons up there?
by Steven Haninger / August 18, 2014 7:35 AM PDT

Send us some. They can take geese but our local species won't even try. It would be OK if they'd stop J-walking during morning traffic...or at least could outrun a slug when crossing the street.

Collapse -
They're fast enough to break the leg
by drpruner / August 18, 2014 11:46 AM PDT

of a backyard intruder, I'm told.
Did you notice the specific reference to predator birds? I understand they're some of our most endangered.

Bibliography: Make Way for Ducklings, Robert McCloskey, Viking, 1941.

Collapse -
I've taken something of an interest in birds of prey
by Steven Haninger / August 18, 2014 8:34 PM PDT

and how they are an "indicator" of environmental health. Some at the very top of the food chain have been all but wiped out but some have able to come back with the help of man. There's a very fragile system out there that humans depend upon without even knowing it. We have both good science and bad science. I'm afraid that most of the bad science gets embraced by politicians looking out for themselves rather than for the greater benefit.

Here's an example of how man is finally coming full circle. Consider the old "pioneers" of this country moving westward and establishing their homes. There were forests, savannas and prairies of various types. Each type had its animal population. Farmers choose the prairie lands and savannas so they wouldn't need to cut down trees. A lot of predators hunted there...owls, hawks, etc., and the population of the various critters remained balanced until the farmer moved in. The land was tilled and planted and habitat and food was lost for many animals that birds preyed on. Let's say the farmer raised a few chickens. The hawks and larger owls took a liking to chicken. This made the farmer angry so he put up pole traps. These pole traps didn't discriminate in what species they'd kill. Hawks and great horned owls that take chickens were the intended victims but the traps also took out other bird species that kept the small mammal population in check...rats, mice, voles, etc. Now the farmer has a rat and mouse infestation to deal with and decides to use poisons. These poisons don't make their targets die and evaporate but, instead, they wander off aimlessly to die later. This makes them easy catches for birds of prey...the same birds that also ate the mice and rats...and don't forget the farmer's cats. Duh! That began to be recognized years ago and especially with the DDT thing and there have been some efforts repopulate areas with these natural predators that work almost silently and certainly with less protest about pay and benefits. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) I like seeing them cross the road with their babies.
by Diana Forum moderator / August 19, 2014 12:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
You think that now but
by Steven Haninger / August 19, 2014 12:29 AM PDT

they wouldn't be so cute if they were in your way while going to the hospital to have your own baby. HappyDevil

Collapse -
True.
by Diana Forum moderator / August 19, 2014 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: You think that now but

Of course, if that were true, I would take the major streets. I've only seen them cross two-lane roads, not the four or six lane ones.

Diana

Collapse -
Steven, you gonna
by drpruner / August 18, 2014 11:33 AM PDT

Never mind. Happy

Collapse -
Very sad. Base on my layman's knowledge,
by drpruner / August 18, 2014 11:41 AM PDT

I'm inclined to agree with the 'tree-hugger' estimates of deaths.
Skyscrapers have been known as killers for some time.
I still trust in my government to do the right thing: Rev 11:18b: "and your own wrath came, and the appointed time came... to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Since I believe this also to be true, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" and this, "As for the heavens, they belong to Jehovah, But the earth he has given to the sons of men", then His solution will be perfect.
BTW you may note that, at the time Revelation was written, man did not have his present capability to 'ruin the earth'. Mining and such have always been dirty work, but only on a local scale. (Here in NM the prehistoric turquoise mines were harmful as well.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.