Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

entire program saved if I reformat

by doceason / March 21, 2006 9:19 PM PST

I have reformatted a couple of times. And it is so time consuming, I don't look forward to it.
Is there a way at some point after reformatting and having everything in its place...programs, updates, utilities, etc., the whole thing just the way I like it saved to disc so that when have to reformat again I can just install it all at once? I thought I read something about that once but not sure. Thanks for the tips, this forum is great!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: entire program saved if I reformat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: entire program saved if I reformat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, however...
by joesmithers06 / March 21, 2006 10:05 PM PST

I'd advise not using it. It often doesn't work out anywhere near as well as people think it will, and ends up costing more time.

If you insist however, you're looking for disk imaging software such as Norton Ghost. Just do not make the mistake of thinking of it as a backup program, or you'll only compound any problems you may encounter.

Collapse -
imaging software
by doceason / March 22, 2006 1:11 AM PST

Thanks....guess I don't know what I should do, if it costs $60 for the norton ghost and it doesn't work well, time and money lost. But thanks for letting me know.

Collapse -
May I ask
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2006 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: imaging software

why do you find the need to reformat so often?

Mark

Collapse -
You may ask but why is it important to you?
by doceason / March 22, 2006 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: May I ask

that seems like an odd question....especially when I stated that I reformatted a 'couple of times' and if I had my computer, lets say a couple of years would that qualify me as having reformatted often? My question to you is what reasoning is prompting you to ask?

Collapse -
Maybe we can help find and cure why the need to format...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2006 6:38 AM PST

If we knew more?

Bob

Collapse -
MARK AND BOB, READ THIS
by doceason / March 22, 2006 8:20 AM PST

Because I am an autosurfer, I am a download junkie, I belong to a bunch of 'changing link' sites, install and uninstall often, way too often, eventually the computer starts to act like a nervous, nausiated piece of junk. Making mistakes like installing some updates where the previous should have been uninstalled first, trying different browsers to find the best one for autosurfing which falls into the 'uninstalling, reinstalling' and having used utilities to clean out and knowingly cleaned out some area's that shouldn't have been, such as dll's and other parts of programs that should have been left alone, put it all together and it always eventually comes to a head where the computer crashes, hangs, doesn't shut down, and generally renders the computer almost useless.
NOW, this is why I need to occaisionally reformat. But there is no way in hell Mark or YOU will have me believe that your questioning was intentionally good, I wasn't born yesterday, we all know what fueled this and I'll wait to see if you come on this site and ''FESS'' up. I suspect that you won't and will come on again saying I am completely wrong, paranoid, or even possibly that I need to be reformatted.
Regardless, that was an inappropriate question for you to ask. Had the intention been sincere then Mark should have come back and submitted his reply to me. Its none of your damned business why I reformat, when I reformat, why I get up in the morning, why I call my family and not write to them, why I eat with a spoon sometimes and not with a fork.
I come on this site to ask for help and I get two busy bodies sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.
So, now Bob AND Mark, you know more, you over stepped your bounds and it angered me.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Best of luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2006 8:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Right
by doceason / March 22, 2006 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Best of luck.

Now Im leaving this forum. If I need help I'll find it elsewhere. My last post was out of character for me, I won't let that happen again. Thanks for nothing.

Collapse -
Don't know where to delete the account
by doceason / March 22, 2006 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Right

please delete it or tell me how to. Unless you need to know how much money I have in the bank.

Collapse -
Do you mean your Cnet account?
by John.Wilkinson / March 22, 2006 10:34 AM PST

Based on your previous posts I'm assuming you mean your Cnet account. In that case you can either just let it go (not use it but allow it to continue to exist) or contact the forum administrators (You'd be speaking with Marc Bennett at this time) through messageboards{at}cnet{dot}com to have it deleted/deactivated.

John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I think he needs help quickly
by Fred Scott / March 22, 2006 11:25 AM PST
Collapse -
If I do need help
by doceason / March 22, 2006 12:37 PM PST

I wouldn't waste my time with some people on this forum. Asking for help inflate's your egos and thats a dirty job I don't want or need. I'll leave it to someone else. I would rather call upon real people for help, all done with you plugins.

Collapse -
You misunderstand
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2006 5:52 PM PST

Moonthe_sun, I apologise if you feel I am prying into your private affairs, but you musundersand my intentions.

All too often in these forums we see posts from members who are at their wits end with badly performing Operating Systems, and want help with re-installing their OS. The reasons are many and varied but, more often than not, the reason has to do with virus and spyware infections, and all too often, the reason for that is they do not have and are unaware of the need for anti-virus and anti-spyware protection.

These are things we can help with. Not all the time, but sometimes. But to do that we need information, and if that information hasn't been provided by the member, (often they do not know what information we need), we have to ask.

That is what I did here. You original post was light on details, on the cause of your need to re-format a couple of times. However you were clearly not looking forward to the prospect of re-formatting so my intention was to find out why you needed to in the first pace.

I regret you felt this was too personal.

There are things you can do. Already you have been told about imaging software like Ghost. Or, once you have your OS re-installed and with all the Service Packs and updates installed, you can create a "slipstream" CD. Some details here;
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
and a lengthy discussion about it here;
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=35360&messageID=409057
although that is not the only discussion on these boards.

But slipstreaming isn't the end of the story. It doesn't save settings, (email and ISP, etc), or your important docs, music, photos or videos, etc. All of the programs you install from CD or from download will need to be re-installed. But then as you have done this before I have no need to say more about it.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank you, and
by doceason / March 22, 2006 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: You misunderstand

after reading your post I am the one who needs to apologize. I should have realized your intentions were to help. My overly suspicious nature has backfired before, this needs reformatting big time. I'm not overly trusting of the internet, and sometimes makes me uneasy. I purchase a lot of items through it, i.e. artist materials, being an artist I buy mostly online, as well as photocopier supplies. I have online banking as well, all of this tends to make me a little nervous, although I do have security utilities installed and should help protect.
Thanks for your suggestions too, I appreciate them. I think a big part of why this computer gets the way it does is my downloading habits, I really am a download addict, and whats worse is most of what is installed I will uninstall it and sometimes the program won't fully uninstall. In some of those cases I have to install the program again just to uninstall it. I get the download.com newsletter with new downloads, and thats cause for a block party, more downloads. I am continually trying out photo editing software, imaging software, and related. I'm still looking for the perfect, hopefully free popup blocker. I have tried so many of them, the best one seemed to be the panicware blocker but this eventually gets weak, the updates don't install, so I've stopped using it.
I also upload a lot of pictures and copies of my paintings in 'my pictures' so I think this can get large using a lot of resources. I like to keep copies of reference pictures with paintings. I know I can use, and I do, flash drives, cd's to hold them but having them handier is kind of helpful.
I'm rambling on, basically this computer gets a workout and over time just loses the performance it's suppose to have, and in good part because I'm not overly computer literate. And when I've reformatted it's like getting a new computer....till the next time. But I know how much time is invloved and I keep putting it off. Cnet seems like a real great place to learn though, the classes it has I've already saved ( my download behavior at work) and other areas that look pretty helpful. And last but not least, the helpful moderators with their fast response and expertise, some people just can't recognize a good thing when they see it. (if there were emoticons here I would stick in a 'blushing, eyes upward'....I think I have some saved somewhere....).

Collapse -
Emoticons? You mean like
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 23, 2006 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you, and

this? Devil

Look here, at section 7;
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7600_7-5565360-1.html?tag=dir.forum

I am sure you will already be aware of XP's powerful utilities. One of the best, I feel, is the System Restore utility. I think it would be ideal for you. Here's the method;

The next big thing

Whenever you find ''the next big thing'' in downloads, (and I know what you mean, I've been there), download the file but don't install it immediately. Instead, create a System Restore point, (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore), to back up all of your registry settings and program file settings. You can even create a shortcut to it to put on your Desktop, (goto the same shortcut, right click it, select ''Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut)'').

Then, when you install the next program/utility/game/whatever, if you don't like it ot it doesn't perform to your satisfaction, just Restore to the time before you installed it.

The Restore doesn't remove any documents, photos etc, but it does remove the installation and any shortcuts it created, returning the computer to the state it was in before the install.

Also, think about getting a registry cleaner. The one I use at the moment is a free utility called CCleaner from;
http://www.ccleaner.com

Besides helping you keep your registry clean, it also clears out any TIF's, (Temporary internet files), temp files Cookies, etc.

Just a thought.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks
by doceason / March 23, 2006 9:08 AM PST

I have used system restore before, but never thought of using it that way...but it brings to mind some installations will say to create a system restore before installing but I never really paid attention to it, but after you explained it, it makes sense. Thanks Mark, I'm going to start doing that.

Collapse -
PS
by doceason / March 23, 2006 9:13 AM PST

that particular emoticon would have been to represent me....I'll work on getting my halo...:-)

Collapse -
Link to using Ghost
by billzhills / March 22, 2006 11:41 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for the link
by doceason / March 23, 2006 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: Link to using Ghost

I looked it over briefly and don't know much about it, I'll saved it for future reference in case I want to use it. I've been hearing pro's and cons about cloning and norton ghost. It seems it could be a good last resort. Thanks for the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?