Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Entire Network tab in My Network Places not showing up

by jconner / April 30, 2009 12:22 AM PDT

In windows explorer under My Network Places I sometimes get the Entire Network tab but often do not; just links to previous connections on other workstations/computers. Sometimes I can get it by right clicking My Network Places and clicking explore.

I would like to know if there is a way to force that tab to always show up when you click on My Network Places. We have a number of machines and linked directories and it is often faster to just go to the desired machine through the Microsoft Windows Network/Workgroup/machine route.

Thanks for any guidance,
John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Entire Network tab in My Network Places not showing up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Entire Network tab in My Network Places not showing up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem
by ymi2b / May 12, 2009 11:50 PM PDT

I have the same problem.

Normally Windows Explorer should show:
"My Network Places"
> "Entire Network"
> "Microsoft Windows Network"
> "{your domain name"
> ..a list of computers on domain..

I only see "My Network Places" but do NOT have "Entire Network".
Like the original poster, all I see are recent connections I've had to other PCs.

I do know this is PC-specific. It does not seem related to Active Directory nor the domain controller's DNS configurations.
Regardless, on DNS, I did do a "RELOAD" on the domain name, but no change.

Note: I can browse directly to a host just fine, such as by entering in Windows Explorer's address bar: \\computer
and then it displays all the shares just fine.
I just cannot browse what PCs are on my network.

Restarting my PC's "computer browser" service (start>run>services.msc) didn't help.
(start>run>cmd) "nbtstat -r" command showed
: NetBIOS Names Resolution and Registration Statistics
: ----------------------------------------------------
: Resolved By Broadcast = 70
* Resolved By Name Server = 0
: Registered By Broadcast = 5
* Registered By Name Server = 0
..but the * lines showing 0 was the same result I have on another PC on my domain, and that PC is showing the Domain in Windows Explorer just fine.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by ymi2b / May 12, 2009 11:56 PM PDT

I have the same problem.
I believe it is specific to the PC having the problem, not to the network in any way.

Normally, in Windows Explorer, you should be able to browse to:
My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > [Domain] > ..see list of PCs on network..

But under "My Network Places" I do not have "Entire Network" and only get to see my recent PC connections.

I feel confident this has nothing to do with the domain controller's DNS nor Active Directory. I even did a "reload" on my DNS' domain but the same issue persists on this one PC.
Restarting my services.msc "computer browser" services didn't help (nor would I have thought it would). I rebooted and waited a few hours and same problem.

"nbtstat -r" (via command line) returns the following:
. Resolved By Broadcast = 70
* Resolved By Name Server = 0
. Registered By Broadcast = 5
* Registered By Name Server = 0
. NetBIOS Names Resolved By Broadcast
The 2 * lines above would make me say, "hmm, that indicates a problem," but, in fact, I have this on several other PCs on my domain and they all list the "My Network Places" just fine.

ymi2b@hotmail.com

Collapse -
I got my Network Places to display again
by ymi2b / May 13, 2009 12:03 AM PDT

John,
In my address bar, I typed in any PC on my network to see its shares:
\\PConMyDomain
As you'd expect, it displayed the shares available in the right pane.

But, then I scrolled down to "My Network Places" and what do you know, it showed "My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > MyDomainName > PConMyDomain"
However, I didn't see any other Domain PCs listed.

So, I clicked up to the "Microsoft Windows Network" and in the right pane I clicked on "MyDomainName" and after about 5 seconds I got a fresh display of the PCs on my network.

ymi2b@hotmail.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!