The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Enough with hating on the South

by mwood5 / May 4, 2009 2:06 PM PDT

Taking after Shalin, and in classic Molly style, I'm going to throw out a (hopefully) constructive rant in response to Cooley's hillbilly comment on episode 966, because I think it typifies a larger issue with the current state of BOL:

To Cooley, Natali, and all other BOL cast of characters, please stop hating on the South. I guess you all think it comes off as funny, but, seems to me, it comes off as cheap, mean, and "coastal elitist." I hesitate to post, but I've been on the fence about BOL since the change in regular hosts (and because these types of comments seem more regular recently- Natali's flyover comments, for example). I'm posting about it because I feel like BOL is losing what made it fun to sit back and listen to - witty give-and-takes on topical tech news and gadgets of the day- and that it?s moving more towards being a boring (and sometimes insulting) retread of what we can find on any tech/gadget sites across the net.

I'm still listening, but not like I have in the past. (I've been listening to BOL since right around the time Veronica started talking on the show). Cooley's weak attempt at humor (that hillbillys live in Tennessee- how original) underscored to me that BOL is drifting away from what it was (fun), and is moving onto else (which is less fun). I hope the kinks in the show get worked out (hello, all the regular host need to be in the same room, the delay is killing any hope of chemistry), but most of all I hope that the overall tone of the show changes, and changes soon.

Full disclosure, I live in Franklin, TN, so I may be taking the comments about my home state a bit personal.

Still holding on,
Micah
(blrp in the chatroom)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Enough with hating on the South
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Enough with hating on the South
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) I figured this was coming.
by kwahhn / May 4, 2009 2:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Oh, and they're just Yankees. Leave'em alone.
by kwahhn / May 4, 2009 3:06 PM PDT
Collapse -
Ha!
by mwood5 / May 6, 2009 10:57 AM PDT

Very true, they are all (or seem to be) Yankees on the show, so I'll cut em some slack. Happy

Collapse -
Yes you are taking it a bit personal
by RTourn / May 4, 2009 9:26 PM PDT

It was said Tongue-in-cheek. If you really want a great retort you should be truthful and funny.

So please enlighten us on how surprisingly tech-savvy the modern hill billy is. Or perhaps you should point out how much more advance the Tennessee hill billy is compared to the Georgian hill billy.

Collapse -
A rant is a rant
by mwood5 / May 6, 2009 11:03 AM PDT

I still feel like the comment was a weak attempt at cheap humor, but maybe I did take too much offense at Cooley's statement. *But* that's why I prefaced my comment by saying it was a rant.

Collapse -
I was surprised he said Tennessee...
by DangMI / May 4, 2009 9:32 PM PDT

I was thinking of North Carolina.

Where all my people are from.

All of whom make hillbilly jokes about themselves and their neighbors.

Collapse -
Lay off Coastal elitists
by Nicholas Buenk / May 4, 2009 9:33 PM PDT

As a Sydney resident in Australia, I'm an Australian coastal elitist!

Collapse -
As long as they are equal opportunity offenders and
by minimalist / May 5, 2009 10:11 AM PDT

poke fun at snarky, castro-hat and skinny jean-wearing New York and San Francisco hipster/bloggers too then I say its everybody's fair game. Oh, and anyone who thinks a fedora is the natural complement for an ironic t-shirt. Who the heck thought that up?

And as a resident of the South I can say with all honestly, we do indeed have some rednecks and hillbillies here. I love it nonetheless though Happy

Collapse -
Where's the "I'm Not Feeling Brian Cooley" thread?
by Ed1233 / May 6, 2009 10:38 AM PDT

<sarcasm>

OMG Brian Cooley made fun of Tennessee! I'm sure that making fun of the South is clearly a crime in Buzztown. I mean look at all the hate Natalie got after making fun of the South.

Maybe I'll start:

"It seems to me and to many others who listen to the show that BRIAN COOLEY is quick to stereotype and judge all those who live between the two coasts of the United States." He made fun of Tennessee and space. "This is what Christopher Hitchens calls poor comedy: ?jokes that only stupid people laugh at?."

Furthermore, I can?t help but think that Brian?s hot and handsome body and ability to style his beard maybe the the only reason he has a position in tech journalism. I'm sure he blinded many people with his hotness so they opened the door for him. "Who?s judging now?" I'll still listen to the show.

Well, that's that

</sarcasm>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?