Peripherals forum

General discussion

enough power?

by ferraritt / November 10, 2005 8:31 AM PST

Hi all, i am planning to build a new pc with the following specs:

BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC 256MB pcie, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, OCZ PC-4200 DDR2 Value Series 2GB (2X1024MB) Dual Channel Kit, Asus P5LD2, Western Digital Caviar SATA II (WD2000JS) 200GB, Intel Pentium 4 650 3.4 GHz, sony floppy and dvd rom, lg 4163 dual layer dvd burner.

would a 650watts power supply have enough juice for these specs? Any help would be appreciated, thankyou Silly

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: enough power?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: enough power?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Definately...your total will probably be less than 450W
by John.Wilkinson / November 10, 2005 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: enough power?
Collapse -
check this out though
by ferraritt / November 11, 2005 4:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Power Requirements for BFG 7800 GT
by VAPCMD / November 11, 2005 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: check this out though

Believe your reference covers the power load for the system ....not just the BFG card.

Here's what the BFG site says about their card with regard to system power requirements:

"Minimum System Requirements

>> Intel Pentium

Collapse -
thankyou
by ferraritt / November 11, 2005 8:11 AM PST

thankyou very much Silly

Collapse -
but...
by ferraritt / November 11, 2005 8:21 AM PST

but do you think BFG's requirements includes a dvd dual layer burner, 3 case fans, and the newest cpu power consumption though, because after looking at their specs, i think they did leave out a lot of things, such as a soundblaster audigy 2 zs, and case fans, they might have done the power recommendation based on the lowest computer specs with their card, because by marketing it this way, the consumers will not be scared away by their power requirements, since the computer i am planning to build is going to be a high ended pc with the highest specs, i think i might consume a little more power, don't you think :P, with consideration to those specs i just mentioned, do you think 450w will still be enough?

P.S. I went to your links, very helpful, thankyou very much

Collapse -
Enough POWER ??
by VAPCMD / November 11, 2005 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: but...

Ultimately this has to be your call because it depends on whether you leave the system as described or decide to add some headroom for more stuff....a second video card, second hard drive or CD-D/RW/DVD etc., Ambient temperature and overclocking would also affect the power requirement. I think you're on the right track...do some more reading and shop carefully...you'll make the right choice.

Let us know what you decide on.

Regards,
VAPCMD

Collapse -
confused : (
by ferraritt / November 11, 2005 12:25 PM PST
In reply to: Enough POWER ??

i was calculating the power usage with the calculator link you mentioned before, and i have made my choice ...(you must be thinking ''finally!'' lol ) ... I think i will go with the 650w silverstone one, since i am a guy who believes in ''longer the warranty, the better'', also, i realize that a 7800gt oc could never use that much power, after all, it is only a video card, so i re-calculated the power usage assuming that the 7800 gt oc uses only a 100w, and i found out that i really don't need 680watts, 650watts will do, so i decided to go with the silverstone.

P.S. check this out, i know it contradicts with the other link with the chart, but take a look anyways Silly it mentions the power usage in the charts Happy

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/bfg_geforce_7800_gt_oc/

Collapse -
thankyou again
by ferraritt / November 11, 2005 12:27 PM PST
In reply to: Enough POWER ??

thankyou very much again, lol

Best regards,
ferraritt

Collapse -
Enough Power
by VAPCMD / November 11, 2005 1:38 PM PST
In reply to: thankyou again

You're welcome...

Good to hear you've narrowed it down.

But I'm a little confused ... the highest number I got was only 400 watts and that included an extra CD-DVD burner and an extra HDD. What wattage did you come up with ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
well...
by ferraritt / November 12, 2005 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: Enough Power

well actually, my calculated wattage was not really accurate because it doesn't have my cpu and video card on the website, so i just took the lastest one on the list for both, my final out come from the calculator website was 364 watts, but i think my actual wattage required is around 450 watts, i added an extra 86 watts due to the fact that they don't have my cpu and video card, which will consume more watts than the ones on the list. I chose the 650watts finally because when i overclock the video card, i will need those extra watts Silly

Best regards,
ferraritt

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.