Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

English XP and Japanese XP Sharing same Volume

by hokkaidoken / March 1, 2007 11:41 AM PST

I currently have a registered Japanese XP Pro installed and running various applications. However, there are sometimes problems installing and trying to run English only applications. Therefore, I would like to install an English version of XP on the same huge drive and be able to dual boot the system. Then I can install all English applications to the English OS and Japanese applications to the Japanese XP OS.

Based on what I read in the MS documentation it says two XP installations can share the same drive, but it didn't talk about foreign language operating systems.

I want to proceed cautiously so that I don't lose what is already functioning, and don't compromise my validated OS that is already installed.

This is a new machine with a Celeron chip and 250 gigabyte hard drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: English XP and Japanese XP Sharing same Volume
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: English XP and Japanese XP Sharing same Volume
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
as far as i know
by jonah jones / March 1, 2007 12:07 PM PST

there should be no problem, as long as you have more than one partition....

i.e. you can't install 2 versions of XP on the 'C:' partition

jonah

/.

Collapse -
Partitioning C drive without losing current OS
by hokkaidoken / March 1, 2007 12:16 PM PST
In reply to: as far as i know

Can I partition my C drive to take advantage of the enormous free space to set up one or more additional logical drives, without deleting the current installation? I went to the Windows tool for such a thing and couldn't seem to trigger any partitioning after defragging the drive. Perhaps I have to back up the entire drive and then reformat and partition, restoring the back up file later? Maybe it would be easier to add a hard drive and install the English OS to that drive?

Collapse -
Yes
by jackson dougless / March 1, 2007 12:23 PM PST

There are programs such as Partition Magic which will do non-destructive partitioning. Partition Magic isn't the only choice, it's just the one I've used most, so is what I think of first.

Keep in mind that there's a small chance that things will go horribly wrong, so be sure to have current backups just in case. Nothing bad will likely happen, but best to be prepared if it does. It's also never a bad idea to make backups of important data.

Collapse -
MS Documentation for Installing WXP
by hokkaidoken / March 1, 2007 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

The following is a quote from the documentation file that came with the OS. The last sentence makes me feel that it is possible even having only one drive letter (C).

"If you have only one volume on your computer, you have to reformat and repartition your hard disk to contain multiple volumes before you begin creating a multiboot configuration, unless you are simply installing another copy of Windows XP."

Another reason that I feel this is possible is that when I installed XP on the wife's computer a long time ago, I screwed up and had to reinstall it and thought it would simply replace the one I screwed up on, but it simply created another Windows folder and gave me an automatic dual boot configuration. I'm just not sure the Japanese and English Operating Systems would be compatible. Thanks for your comments.

Collapse -
if they were 2 XP installs of the same language
by jonah jones / March 1, 2007 1:14 PM PST

i would agree, but it would seem to be 'the right thing to do' to install the second language in a seperate partition...

jonah

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?