Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

English lbs symbol.

I am doing some research and need to be able to put in the symbol for the lb. currency of England. Is there a place to do this on XP PRO?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: English lbs symbol.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: English lbs symbol.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends on the program...

In reply to: English lbs symbol.

Unless you have an English (UK) keyboard, there's no simple way to do that. (ie There's no way to designate a particular key combination to equal the pound sign in all programs.) In programs such as Microsoft Word you can go insert->symbol and select the pound sign (

Collapse -
Actually...

In reply to: Depends on the program...

If you use the character map program, it will give you the keycode that you can use to enter this into pretty much any standard Windows textbox widget. Only trouble is, the pound sterling sign is in a different spot with every font, so you have to know what font is being used in the text boxes by your browser. A simple feat for Firefox users, probably Opera users as well, but IE users might have to do a lot of guessing.

You load up the character map program (charmap from the run/command line), find the symbol you want, and at the bottom of the window will be a bit of text that says something like, "Alt + 134". That means, with the Num Lock OFF, if you hold down the Alt key, and type in 134 on the numeric keypad, that symbol will then be inserted. I've known people who create their own little cheat sheets for various symbols. Once again however, it's font specific. Whatever symbol is at 134 in Arial might be something else entirely in Times New Roman. Unicode and non-Unicode fonts will also likely be different, and fonts on Windows vs any other platform will be different because Microsoft intentionally moved some characters around to break compatibility. If I had a quid for every time I saw a question mark where quote marks were supposed to be, I would have a nice supplement to my retirement fund at current exchange rates.

Collapse -
pound sterling

In reply to: Actually...

Thanks for giving me the right words for this sign and thanks to all of you for getting back to me. I will do some playing and see what I come up with. I do have IE.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My charts say

Collapse -
A pound is not a pound

In reply to: (NT) My charts say

Hello - In your question you said lb. and then mentioned currency. Lb is a pound of WEIGHT, while the currency is called Pound Sterling, or GBP in international code, or the L with two dashes across as a currency annotation. If you have an international keyboard, you can choose English (UK) as your second language (in Languages and Codes) and then the keyboard will automatically give you the required sign. Good luck - Amos.

Collapse -
Pound sterling

In reply to: A pound is not a pound

If you will notice I did thank the gentleman for giving me the right name of the symbal. I knew it wasn't lbs like the weight just did not know what it was called.

Collapse -
Actually

In reply to: A pound is not a pound

Lb or Lbs is a measure of FORCE not weight. What we think of as weight is really little more than the pull of gravity on an object's mass. The more mass, and/or the more dense the mass, the more "weight" it has.

So to be proper, the "weight" of something, is really the amount of force that it is exerting on the surface it is resting on. Or, in the case of a suspended object, the amount of force being exerted on the means of suspension, in order to maintain the suspended nature of the object.

As I recall, the original poster indicated that they were unaware of the proper term, and so was doing what any of us would. Trying to use a similar term to help others understand. So why don't we cut them a little slack in such cases? It's hard to properly name something you don't know. None of us are perfect, just look at how you incorrectly said lbs was a measure of weight, when weight doesn't exist... Not as we think of it anyway.

Collapse -
actually.....it's all semantics

In reply to: Actually

as was proved a long time ago:

"Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

Collapse -
Not quite

In reply to: actually.....it's all semantics

Cold is the absence or lack of molecular motion/movement. So heat would then be the abundance of molecular motion/movement. Absolute zero would be the point at which there is no molecular movement. Saying it becomes inert is like saying a parked car is incapable of movement. Of course right now, it's pure speculation because we have no way to get matter down to absolute zero. To do so, you'd need something with a temperature lower than absolute zero and we don't have anything like that. Unless you've been cooking something up in your basement.

Your story takes a more philosophical tact with the story, when it should be using the quantifiable terms that exist to describe hot and cold.

But you seem to be missing the whole point of my last post. In that it's difficult for someone to properly name something they don't know, and by using the unit of measure "lb" which shares the same name, they were doing what anyone else of reasonable intelligence would have done in such a situation. So it seems a bit uncalled for, for someone to come along and chastise them for using the incorrect term, when it was clearly indicated the proper term was not known to them.

Collapse -
yes quite....semantics is.....

In reply to: Not quite

the study of meanings,the historical and psychological study and the classification of changes in the signification of words or forms viewed as factors in linguistic development

when it's in the upper 30s nobody quotes einstein, (who btw is credited with the quote in my former post) "i say! the molecular movement is certainly buzzing along today old chap"...

they say "it's HOT....."

Collapse -
joe_smith2's reply

In reply to: yes quite....semantics is.....

is toast. Or should that be ice?

Sorry, that sort of language really isn't needed on these boards.

By the way joe, in your post here I suggest it was you who initially muddied the waters, firstly with your insistence that the expression ''lb'' or ''lbs'' should be considered one of force, and not weight, a relatively pointless argument under the circumstances as, unless a person is specifying that he is talking/writing in terms of force, the expression ''lb'' or ''lbs'' is generally accepted to refer to the weight of an object.

Secondly, you complain about Amos correcting kinseeker on his use of the expression lbs when talking about currency. Amos was correcting an error and there was no harm in that. Kinseeker said that he was doing a project and needed the symbol for the lb currency of England. He has been given that symbol and has also been informed what the ''lb'' expression means; a perfectly reasonable post. It may stop kinseeker making the same mistake again. In addition, Amos was not being rude, or condescending or anything else of the kind, so your comments were not needed.

One more thing relating to the use of that expression. The fact that kinseeker used it at all shows that he did have some knowledge of Imperial measurement. It is highly unlikely that a person for whom English is not his first language would associate the two letters ''lb'', or three letters ''lbs'', with the English Pound without some knowledge. Why would they? the letters lb or lbs have absolutely no correlation to Pound. So, kinseeker does have some knowledge of English measurement, whether it be pounds weight, or Pounds currency, and to correct an error like that is common sense. I don't know what kinseeker's first language is, but I am satisfied that no harm has been done here.

Lastly, weight does exist. I weigh 9st 10lbs, or 136 lbs. Yeah, I know. A wimp!!

Kinseeker's question has been fully answered. Therefore this thread need go no further. If you want to reply to me Joe, please feel free to do so via my profile.

The post is locked.

Mark

Collapse -
Joe

In reply to: Actually

Are you sure that you exist?

Collapse -
Alt+412=

and with numlock OFF Alt+4 ="backspace"

firefox
XP
bi-lingual keyboard

Collapse -

In reply to: English lbs symbol.

ALT - 0163 is OK for IE6.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.