Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Endless Loop, now stuck

by toni_ko / February 7, 2006 8:28 PM PST

Hello!
I am running Windows XP, my computer was working fine.. I installed AOL and when trying to run the AOL program my computer would automatically reboot. So I got a suggestion from aol help desk to uninstall in safe mode, and then reinstall. Under F8, my computer would not start in safe mode, so i took the suggestion to: run msconfig, click boot.ini, check safeboot, and restart.
I did this and my computer went into a series of endless restarts. I tried going to F8 to start in regular mode and again endless restarts. I have no option for DOS or Command promt.. just the black screen with all the startup options. SOOOOO desperate to get the computer going again for work I need to do I decided screw it I will just start over.. HA! Bad idea.. ran the restore disk.. this ran fine.. but now it cannot complete the start up because it is NOW in safe mode!?!?!?
Any thoughts for help or have I completely killed my computer?
Thank You
T

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Endless Loop, now stuck
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Endless Loop, now stuck
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
did i need to specify
by toni_ko / February 9, 2006 5:02 AM PST

that the computer I am speaking of is a HP Pavillion?
Thank you
T

Collapse -
Consider that it's been discussed a few times too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: did i need to specify
Collapse -
still checking
by toni_ko / February 9, 2006 9:34 PM PST

Thank you for your suggestion. I was looking under a keyword search 'stuck in safe mode' and 'safe boot' for hours before I decided to just ask someone. Now I am still looking from your suggestion and then some, but cant seem to find anything that either makes sense to me, or is applicable to my situation. I will keep at it.
As to telling more and my post getting passed up because I didnt follow words in red? I wasnt aware I was being 'passed up' but will assume it has something to do with ettiquette on this forum I missed??
Thank you for your time and energy on my situation and for not passing me up
T

Collapse -
Here's the words.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: still checking

"Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

You're never sure if your post is being read or not, but when there is so little information in a post, it may not get any replies.

Remember this is not tech support so there is not much hand holding where the members will coax the information from you. The Newbies Forum may be the exception on that.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm stuck too
by happyours1044 / March 8, 2006 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: still checking

Windows XP Pro
Dell Dimension 1200
I got a nasty virus that I'm still not sure's been cured, but it messed up the registry, and wiped out sys.ini and win.ini. Corrupted drivers. Destroyed access to my CDRom. I've slowly chipped away at the problem. Finally got my CD working again, so was going to reinstall Windows with the Dell provided OEM Reinstallation Disk. I did a boot from CD and got the Windows set up screen. Selected repair installation. All went fine. System rebooted as expected. The screen states ''Windows Setup is Restarting. . .'' (HERE'S THE RUB. Not knowing better, I had the boot set for ''safe mode.'') The computer boots in safe mode, and a warning box appears saying that ''Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safe Mode. Setup will restart now.'' There is no ''start'' or programs available. Using the Windows ''start'' key has no effect. The only apparent choice is ''OK'' on the restart message. This just starts the loop again. I've tried rebooting several times from the CD and HD. I've tried repeatedly to use the [F8] key during reboot to get the Windows advanced startup screen. No luck.

Any ideas? I am prepared to reformat the hard drive and sacrafice the data if that's necessary or easiest (all critical data is backed up!) Can I create a DOS boot disk and reformat the hard drive? Then try Windows Setup again?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated as I don't have anymore.

Collapse -
Format Done
by happyours1044 / March 9, 2006 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: I'm stuck too

I found the reformat option on the XP reinstall disk, so that's how I resolved the issue.

Sure wish Microsoft could warn about Setup not running in Safe Mode before rather than after. . . . I think I could have recovered this disk. Another lesson learned.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?