The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Ender's Game

by thriftyT / April 10, 2007 11:25 AM PDT

Just wanna give props to Tom's Ender's Game reference.

Someone really should make that book into a movie. Wasn't really possible in the 80's, but it is entirely feasible now...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ender's Game
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ender's Game
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) agreed
by Veronica Belmont-20381073359499778927797251280312 / April 10, 2007 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Ender's Game
Collapse -
Yeah
by Alegoo92 / April 10, 2007 1:57 PM PDT

I noticed that too..

Read the book for a summer project in 8th grade; and its strange how I hated it then and so many things remind me/make me think of it.

Props to you, Tom.

-Alex

Collapse -
funny you should mention that...
by punterjoe / April 10, 2007 8:59 PM PDT

I just heard Orson Scott Card on XM last night (4/10) & he was talking about that. Check out imdb for all the details. '08 is the target.

Collapse -
Went to a lecture from him at undergrad
by gwchemguy / April 10, 2007 10:59 PM PDT

Orson Scott Card came to my undergrad to talk about his philosophy on writing and what not. It was very intriguing and if anyone has a chance to go see him talk, do it! I was a science major and didn't care too much about writing (fiction), but his lecture was very interesting.

Collapse -
Movie in the works... 2008?
by vijfromboston / April 11, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

Part of the slow progress on the movie comes from the fact that Orson Scott Card owns the rights. He's very possessive of it. He mentioned (in his review of Serenity on his website - http://www.hatrack.com/) that he would never do a movie if he couldn't do it right, and Serenity is something to live up to.

The latest word (http://endersgamemovie.blogspot.com/) is that he's merging Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.

Collapse -
Teen Ender
by Ken from Chicago / April 11, 2007 5:58 PM PDT

Well, they'd have to make Ender a teenager now. No way would studios want the backlash of having a child who's a killer in the movie. Don't forget Ender kills two children in the novel--in addition to wiping out an alien race.

-- Ken from Chicago

Collapse -
Dude..
by Kev50027 / April 12, 2007 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Teen Ender

I can't believe you just gave away the ending. Seriously, I've read the book 5 times, but if there's one thing you NEVER do, it's give away the ending online.

Can you edit that post or delete it or something? That's really mean to all of the people who have never read it.

Collapse -
Ender's endgame
by Ken from Chicago / April 12, 2007 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Dude..

I didn't say WHICH alien race was wiped out or how they were disguises by human rebels.

-- Ken from Chicago

P.S. Besides the novel is about FOUR DECADES old. I'm not going around spoiling novels, but I would think after several decades some statute of spoiler limitations would have expired.

Collapse -
Ender's Game Review
by nkoon / April 15, 2007 4:17 PM PDT

As an average 17 year old male, having read many science fiction authors such as Stephen King, Dean Koonz and Orson Wells, I have definite opinions on how novels should be. I enjoy reading books that take me on a journey and leave me to wonder what is coming around the corner. When this book was assigned to me in my Junior year English class, I was excited. Finally, a book that I might find interesting had become required reading! I couldn?t have been more excited, this was a book I couldn?t wait to get home and start.

This format was written in both first and third person, so this led to a little confusion at times. You were not always entirely sure whose perspective you were reading from, or whose eyes you were watching the events unfold through. The sentences were short to medium in length. The book wasn?t nearly as difficult to read as John Steinbeck because there were no run on sentences.

The book was almost a little too fast, but for the subject matter the pace was almost perfect. The characters didn?t really develop over time, they were instantly who they were, no surprises. The exception to this being Ender, as the main character. Ender impressed me with his use of knowledge, and his ability to recognize patterns. Ender was consistently able to able to think on his feet and make instant decisions that impacted the game. I find that as I read Ender?s Game and learned his thought patterns, I found I could see myself in his analysis of situations, I do tend to think things through completely.

The symbolism of the game was important to the plot because it kept the kids from realizing the reality of their situation. They were being taught war games, but putting it in a game format kept the children ignorant of what they were learning. There were times, for example, when **** made mention to the reality of the game and again when Ender realized for himself what was happening. These events left Ender still in doubt, but he pushed through it to begin with, but eventually he feels burned out and feels the entire process is unnecessary and pointless.

Throughout the book Ender finds himself haunted by odd dreams. He plays a computer game during his free-time, but suddenly there is an image of his older brother that was not programmed into the game. Ender finds himself struggling mentally with this and wonders what it could mean for himself and his future. This is a foreshadowing, though he doesn?t realize until it is far too late. The events in the book could be, if it was written today, an allusion to the war in Iraq. We heard they had weapons of mass destruction and we went an invaded the country. Yes, we did it in retaliation for attacks on American soil, but still, the fact remains that sometimes it is human nature to get them before they get you.

I did enjoy this book because it held my attention. I will admit this is partly due to the fact that it is science fiction and I find that naturally interesting. However, the character Ender grew and I was curious what he?d become and as anxious as he was to get to the truth of the game. This book creates a situation where you can evaluate hypothetical situations and really take the time to think through your own personal bias once you have all the facts.

This book could not be enjoyed by younger children, it is too long and complicated. However it could easily be a favorite of science fiction fans. Novices to the science fiction world would easily find this novel to be intriguing and entertaining. As a warning to parents, there is some non-graphic violence with the xenocide of an entire race and three humans. While this isn?t a book I think parents should preview, I do believe it would be a good topic of conversation between parent and child, particularly in light of current events and the ongoing war.

Collapse -
Age to read
by arshield / April 16, 2007 8:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Ender's Game Review

I agree that many people should read it around 10th grade, but I read it in 6th or 7th and loved it and have continued to love it. I probably have read it eight or ten time now. I had two foster kids and we listened to it together on audio book when they were 11 and 12 and they really got a lot out of it.

Collapse -
Ender's Game Review
by seifert_jamie / April 17, 2007 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Ender's Game Review

My name is Jamie, I am seventeen years old and a junior in High School. I was motivated by my English teacher to start reading this book and throughout the book I was required to write notes, complete quizzes, and have class discussions which proves that I have a commendable understanding of the novel

The things I liked about the novel is that it portrays emotions such as anger, love, and hate. Examples of this are the love between Ender and Valentine, the anger between Ender and his competitors, and the hate between Ender and his brother Peter. I also like how Card goes in to detail about the events happening such as war, violence, and competition for power. Some examples of this is the wars between the buggers and humans, the violence Ender has to go through against other boys, and the competition that the armies have against each other. I liked this because these emotions and events that occur in the book take place in our lives every day. I only disliked a few things throughout the story such as Ender and his siblings being most intelligent children and the things they did at such a young age. I also disliked how Ender was sent to battle school at the age of six, and the fact that he became a commander and the world was relying on him at such a young age is pretty bizarre.

The pacing of the story was great, there was never a time that I wasn?t guessing what was going to happen next. Card used great foreshadowing to create suspense throughout the novel. I thought the character development was great especially for Ender because as a young boy he was very kind and loving but as he got older he developed evil and cruel characteristics like his brother which he hated. The sentence structure was mostly in third person perspective told by the narrator with the exception of the discussions at the beginning of each chapter. I feel a connection with this novel when Card displays many examples of competition because I am a very competitive person and this made me get into the book better.

I liked some of the literary techniques that Card used throughout the novel. My favorite was the foreshadowing at the beginning of each chapter because it hinted that there was something exciting going to happen later in the chapter which made me want to keep reading. The foreshadowing also gave me a better understanding at the end of the chapter.

People who enjoy science fiction would definitely love this book and even people that aren?t science fiction fans because the novel has a lot of action, drama, and suspense. I recommend the novel Ender?s Game for people of ages above thirteen and for people that enjoy genres such as action, suspense, thriller, and drama. The book does contain some profanity so I recommend a parent reading it before allowing their child to read it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?