HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

End of XP support to be announced?

by rje49 / December 3, 2013 4:39 AM PST

When I recently replaced a family member's XP computer with a Windows 7 machine, I mentioned that it should be done anyway, with XP's end-of-support approaching. I was asked "are they going to tell us that?" I said, probably not.
I mean, unless you're into reading about tech stuff like us, you don't know. I can't imagine Microsoft sending out a firm message, not using scare tactics, explaining what end-of-support will mean to XP users after April 8. If they did such a thing now, maybe they would help increase PC sales, right? Why, they could even sell more Windows 8 computers to these unaware folks. But we know what will happen; nothing. The non-techies in the world will find out the hard way.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: End of XP support to be announced?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: End of XP support to be announced?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well discussed area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 5:35 AM PST

Said support will be from folk that will provide it. Even today I don't know anyone that calls MSFT for XP support.
Bob

Collapse -
As one of those who will be called,
by rje49 / December 3, 2013 7:59 AM PST
In reply to: Well discussed area.

It's scary to think of all those folks out there who are using XP, don't know what is coming, and MS can't even be troubled to inform them. It's always scary thinking about those 80 or 90% of computer users who don't know enough about them; you know the type, those who "click here" when they get the "YOU ARE INFECTED" "CLICK HERE TO FIX". My rant here is that MS should have taken it upon themselves to attempt to somehow educate their users in some very basic areas, in non-tech talk, to help folks avoid trouble for the operating system they created and sold. Not everybody has an IT Pro looking over their shoulder.
Help certainly doesn't come from computer makers, who seem to do everything they can to add problems via additions to the OS. I know, this could be a huge area of discussion, so I'll cease my ranting.

Collapse -
Is this any different from Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000?
by wpgwpg / December 3, 2013 8:55 AM PST

I grant you a good no. of folks will be surprised when the last remnants of XP support are dropped, but outside of the fact that XP has been supported longer than its predecessors, this is no different. There was no ad campaign or sounding of drums when support for Windows 3.1, 95, 98, Me, or 2000 went away, so I have no reason to believe this would be different. Anybody who sticks with an OS over 12 years is not in touch with reality. You can pass laws, air publicity, but in the end you can't legislate or regulate against stupidity.

Collapse -
So if you're not a computer geek, you're stupid?
by rje49 / December 3, 2013 9:18 AM PST

As we all know, the great majority of computer users aren't like us. Many people like using computers, and some are pushed into using computers - but only a small percentage make an effort to learn about computers. Yes, "we" can help here & there, but all I'm saying is MS could have done much to teach people important things by putting it in front of them, not ignoring them. It would have helped them and their reputation over the years. I was NEVER a MS basher before Windows 8 came along. When it came to that "figure it out yourself" attitude, I saw enough.

Collapse -
I have an old pickup truck
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 9:24 AM PST

GM doesn't call me to remind me it's old and outdated or out of production, neither do tv mfg.'s or anyone else. Why would MS ? ....Digger

Collapse -
More importantly
by Jimmy Greystone / December 3, 2013 9:48 AM PST

More importantly, HOW would Microsoft manage to contact every person in the world using Windows XP? Even if we rule out people using pirated copies, you're still looking at a truly phenomenal undertaking.

There is simply no feasible way for Microsoft to do this even if they wanted to. If you do it via email, what about all the people who don't regularly check their email, or have changed email addresses since the last time Microsoft updated its records? If they do it via postal mail, that would be monumentally expensive. Even figuring say 10 cents for a simple postcard at a bulk rate, just in the US alone you'd probably have a few million people to contact, so that'd cost Microsoft probably in the tens of millions world-wide just in postage, forget about the cost of materials and having them printed in the myriad of different languages used around the world.

Even if Microsoft had some kind of database of every single Windows user (and they don't), it would end up being far too difficult an undertaking to be worth the effort even if it weren't cost prohibitive. Plus it would undoubtedly cause a few crazies to come out of the woodwork and lob a sueball or two at the company. In today's society, people sue for virtually everything you can think of, no matter how ridiculous. Microsoft was once sued for being biased against African Americans because when you did a clip art search for "monkey" the picture of an african american person was one of the search results. Completely frivolous lawsuit that someone filed before doing any kind of due diligence into the matter. Look at the people who make jokes about the funny results you sometimes get in a Google search. Computers operate on pure logic and sometimes they expose the numerous mental shortcuts we take without even thinking about it by doing things like coming up with strange search results. But I digress... Point is, there are people out there who would take offense at you paying them a compliment and if you're a large company, more often than not you'll get sued by said people. The last thing you want to do is give them an idea for the next frivolous lawsuit.

Collapse -
What about Microsoft Update?
by rje49 / December 3, 2013 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: More importantly

OK, you probably have a good point as to "how". They do manage to not only communicate via installing updates on every (connected) MS/OS computer in the world. But yeah, they aren't going to do it. Bottom line, again, if it's common knowledge they want people to upgrade from XP, why wouldn't they want to tell people? They tell us geeks; so why not get the word out to others? Maybe a mention in TV ads for Windows 8 products? I guess not.

Collapse -
But with Windows Update
by Jimmy Greystone / December 4, 2013 10:13 AM PST

But with Windows Update, you still are relying on the user to go and actually visit the website with XP. And again, it doesn't matter how many lawyers MS had vet the message they ultimately put up, someone would sue claiming some ridiculous thing and even though MS would win, it still takes time and money to defend against a lawsuit.

Of course we're also in what's often called Microsoft's "lost decade" under Ballmer's leadership, where most of the revenues have come from rejiggering licenses for volume customers like Fortune 500 companies. There hasn't been much of a Microsoft advertising campaign since Windows 95. Add to that how PC sales have been collapsing across the world with everyone more or less migrating to smartphones and tablets and there's even less incentive for Microsoft to spend a lot of money pushing sales of Windows on the PC end of things. Some of it also might have to do with the "stacked ranking" system Microsoft only just did away with a couple months ago, which basically is credited as being a big part of the so-called lost decade. It created incentives for people to sabotage their coworkers rather than do actual work. It's really a wonder that anything at all managed to get done at Microsoft under a system where every year it's mandatory for every manager to rank one person as the lowest performing member of the group and fire them. Even if every person in the group was more or less equal in performance, the system required SOMEONE be at the bottom and get fired. A system like that might be useful for a year or two for a company that is way too big, but like 10 years running and it ends up destroying productivity.

I don't think there's any one reason why things like this don't happen. It's likely a combination of several things that have been suggested here and a few others we haven't thought of.

Collapse -
A reason to sell you a new one
by rje49 / December 3, 2013 11:28 AM PST

If your old pickup used computers that could be hacked so somebody else could possibly affect how it ran, if I were GM I'd use that as a selling point for a new one. Not to mention the truck would get recalled for a newly discovered defect.

Collapse -
It's My old Pickup
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 8:44 PM PST

It has an onboard computer that I'm responsible for maintaining, not GM and by the way I don't want a new one . If people have old computers with old outdated operating systems , it's their responsibility to maintain or replace it , not MS....Digger

Collapse -
My point is,
by rje49 / December 3, 2013 10:09 PM PST
In reply to: It's My old Pickup

Microsoft knows the vast majority of users of their operating system don't know how to maintain them and makes no proactive attempt to train or help them (as was pointed out, nobody calls them for help). I think it's a big reason why so many people bash the company, and many switch to something else.
Imagine if car/truck dealerships only sold vehicles and had no maintenance dept.; You drive out of there, and you're on your own. If something went wrong, you'd be expected to fix it yourself. If not, call the manufacturer for help, and if you couldn't fix it yourself via their instructions, you had to take it to an independent repair shop- or maybe a friend or relative. That's how it works with computers, doesn't it? Looks like the auto industry "gets it". The computer industry doesn't.

Collapse -
Hey
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: My point is,

Go save the world . MS is not going any farther with this . End of story . Have A Nice Day Grin ...Digger

Collapse -
Let's be fair.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: My point is,

What do you think of the proactive attempts to train or help users from comparable companies like Apple (the makers of OS X) and Canonical (the makers of Ubuntu)? Are they really better then Microsoft in this respect? Which of the two are you switching to?

Kees

Collapse -
Not familiar with those
by rje49 / December 4, 2013 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Let's be fair.

I've never owned an Apple product and only played with Ubuntu for awhile few years ago, so I'm not familiar with their attempts. I'm not considering switching. I do fine using Windows systems and can't remember the last time I had a problem with one of mine, because I've gone out of my way to learn about them (like "us", but unlike most folks).
Like Digger said, I know MS isn't going any farther with this, and I knew it. I'm just ranting. As for me, I'll keep helping family, friends, co-workers, etc.,etc. and keep accepting fees and/or tips for my time and expenses.

Collapse -
For some it might be good news
by Steven Haninger / December 3, 2013 5:36 AM PST

No more mornings being interrupted by update popups. Getting rather sick of that with Win 7. Even Linux distros do that now. It's sort of like how telemarketers always call you at dinner time. Of course, if you like XP, you can keep XP. Seems I've heard promises like that before.

Collapse -
haha
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 8:46 PM PST

Maybe Steve's using an old outdated distro. I've never seen a pop up....Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.