Speakeasy forum

General discussion

End of the World, Hollywood style- 2012 Movie

by Willy / November 4, 2009 2:41 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: End of the World, Hollywood style- 2012 Movie
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: End of the World, Hollywood style- 2012 Movie
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) WOW!!!!Can that guy drive, or what....?
by JP Bill / November 4, 2009 3:01 AM PST
Collapse -
In watching promos on TV
by Angeline Booher / November 4, 2009 3:42 AM PST

.... it looked like maybe that one family might make it to safety somewhere. But I don't think they could drive to Mecca.

As far as disaster movies go, I really liked, "The High and the Mighty", and "Airport" decades ago, and Independence Day" and "Twister" not that long ago. In those movies there was a reason offered. "Titanic" and "The Poseidon Adventure" did, as well, but I avoid those about water. I think that stems from seeing "A Night To Remember" as a kid.

I don't know why The End comes about in this movie. But it really is not the end of the world if everything is not destroyed, is it?

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
interesting you should mention "Independence Day"
by grimgraphix / November 4, 2009 3:52 AM PST

Roland Emmerich, they guy behind this movie did Independence Day, too... along with a host of other disaster movies like The Day After Tomorrow.

Collapse -
Alot of CG time
by Willy / November 4, 2009 9:50 AM PST

It really stuck me how they put the CG time into having the world go belly-up. Now, I just saw the DVD of "Knowing" with Nichols Cage and that movie had the world get smacked by a solar flare/surge. It burned up everything and if you could go deep into the ground, that's at 1mi. underground if you could find such a place nearby. That movie got me awe stuck as to where it was going. Seemed like a mystic movie then a thriller into a sci-fi thing. I couldn't connect the dots until the end.

As for 2012 movie, it appears finding a level piece of real estate could be a safe haven. Running back home for some food could be hard if its all cracked-up and cavernous all around. This maybe 1 movie I find interesting in a long time. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
If smacked that hard...
by James Denison / November 4, 2009 8:46 PM PST
In reply to: Alot of CG time

...the same thing would happen as last time. The earth would get knocked out of it's atmospheric envelope on the opposite side and everything would quickly die from lack of air and instant freezing, like it did in Siberia.

Collapse -
My first reaction...
by grimgraphix / November 4, 2009 3:44 AM PST

When I saw the first trailers for this a few months ago, I first thought of the 1951 movie When Worlds Collide.

Looking up the above wiki link just now... I found out that there is a remake of that movie due out in 2010.

I saw the movie When Worlds Collide back in grade school. I think it was broadcast on Chilly Billys' Chiller Theater out of Pittsburgh. I later found the 1933 book at the library, along with the sequel After Worlds Collide.

Since all this hoopla over 2012 is based on questionable interpretations of Mayan calendars... I have to wonder just what the Mayans would think about all the attention (that is, if they were still around).

Collapse -
(NT) they'd probably want to sacrifice someone
by James Denison / November 4, 2009 8:40 PM PST
In reply to: My first reaction...
Collapse -
Last meal...
by Willy / November 4, 2009 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: My first reaction...

If you knew the world was coming to an end and basically nothing could be saved, that's it, finis, end of story, then what would you do?

Basically, I would get a cold drink and sit in a recently brought La-z-boy recliner and sip on a tall one. Feed my pets all they can eat and wait for the "big one". I just don't want to be running around like a chicken with head cut-off. Of course, be with as many of the family as possible. I wouldn't want to have a "bunker mentality" as it might be a wall of water, fire, earthquakes, the mad hordes, insects, rats, but something would get me and I don't want to be around to pick-up the pieces. If I did, then maybe like a '60's end of the world via nuclear poison take a Cyanide pill to finish it all. But, of course, I'll return my DVD rentals wouldn't want to be charged extra. Happy -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
the one i'm waiting for
by jonah jones / November 4, 2009 6:36 PM PST
In reply to: Book now.
Collapse -
movie
by James Denison / November 4, 2009 8:41 PM PST

Fern Gully on Steroids.

Collapse -
(NT) :) a Cheech and Chong movie :)
by jonah jones / November 5, 2009 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: movie
Collapse -
What an idiot....
by Steven Haninger / November 4, 2009 8:34 PM PST

saving himself and his own family while death is happening all around him. John Wayne would never have been that selfish. He'd have saved them all.

Movies can't get any stupider, can they? Happy

Collapse -
Jesus said it
by James Denison / November 4, 2009 8:43 PM PST
In reply to: What an idiot....

Matthew 24:12 - And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

Collapse -
the end of the world
by James Denison / November 4, 2009 8:40 PM PST
Collapse -
2012 the end of the world movie
by avengerconner / August 24, 2012 7:40 AM PDT

this movie is creating suspense in each steps. this movie will showed how the world can destoryed and i sure
i feel like it really happening , when i watched this movie.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?