Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Encoding MP3 songs to higher bitrate..

by RedEagle2006 / June 23, 2010 6:15 AM PDT

I have approximately 5700 songs in my library, I used Itunes to purchase my music and to encode my music library. Some of the songs I have are in AAC 128 bitrate while others are AAC and MP3 320 bitrate. I want to encode all my songs to a higher 320 mp3 bitrate, my question is will there be a "gain" in music fidelty when I encode the 128 bitrate songs to 320? I don't need worry about storage as I have enough room on my ipod and hard drive, I'm just wondering if my music will gain anything going from 128 bit to 320 when it was encoded at 128 to start with. Thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Encoding MP3 songs to higher bitrate..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Encoding MP3 songs to higher bitrate..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Give it a try and let's find out.
by ahtoi / June 23, 2010 11:50 AM PDT

However, my think is this; I doubt you would gain anything because part of the information has been lost forever, so you can't get it back. Even if you get something back..but it may not be what has been lost. So let us know what your findings are. Good hunting.

Collapse -
Encoding
by Maceman69 / June 23, 2010 6:56 PM PDT

I am agree, lost is lost. It's just waste of storage.
Sometimes I had to encode mp3 to wave and it sounded pretty bad.

Maceman

Collapse -
Ok, my "un-scientific" findings;
by ahtoi / June 24, 2010 1:12 AM PDT

changing bitrate (128 to 320) didn't do much. Changing formats or earphones seems to produce better sound (enough so I can detect it). Formats which sounded better; mp3_pro, mp4, aac, flac. Personally if I were to get a player I would get one that supports flac and use that as my format. The mp3_pro and mp4 I use are Nero converter.

Collapse -
Once the source is compressed...
by make_or_break / June 26, 2010 6:00 AM PDT

...the resolution is lost. Unless you have some really, REALLY trick upscaling software, there's not a lot to be gained by taking 128k bitrate data and expanding it to 320k. Even then it's just all about educated estimations (aka 'guesswork') at interpreting and anticipating what the missing information was originally like rather than actually finding that information and magically restoring it to some sort of lossless (or closer to) glory.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.