Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Encoding in Windows Explorer

by gaia / August 15, 2004 4:44 PM PDT

On opening a web page the encoding selects Western European (IS0) whether this is the appropriate selection or not. If not I have no graphics and have to change to Western European (Windows)but on selecting a link it then changes back again to (ISO)I have set it on Auto Select without any luck.Hope some one has the answer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Encoding in Windows Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Encoding in Windows Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Encoding in Windows Explorer
by Cursorcowboy / August 15, 2004 9:35 PM PDT

1. The article [Q271583] discusses the following two problem which may occur if the Auto-Select option for encoding is not disabled. To do so, on the View menu, point to Encoding, and then click to clear the Auto-Select option.

a. When a Web page is viewed, a blank page may only be seen where the body of the document should display and only the Headers and Footers may be visible.

b. When an e-mail message in OE is printed, a blank page may print with the Header (To:,From:,Subject, and so on) and Footer information of the e-mail message only.

2. The article [Q202489] states that Global language detection occurs automatically in IE if the Auto-Detect option (on the View menu, point to Encoding) is selected. Since most Web pages contain information that tells the browser what language encoding (the language and the character set) to use -- corresponding language support files must be installed through the IE add-on page, or by clicking the encoding items in the Encoding menu -- the Help file indicates IE will automatically prompt a user to download files as needed). This does not ensure correct font usage however. If the page does not include that information (and you have enabled the Auto-Select feature), Internet Explorer can usually determine the appropriate language encoding to use. However, if the correct language setting cannot be determined automatically, manually set the known appropriate language.

3. The article [Q283807] discusses a problem concerning the display of a red "X" or a placeholder - blue triangle, and green circle if Encoding has been set to anything but Western European (Windows) -- something I have not experienced nor do I believe it, but anything is possible. However, if all else fails and this anomaly is experienced on your system, try anything.

4. Download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

"Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

"How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

Collapse -
Re: Encoding in Windows Explorer
by gaia / August 15, 2004 11:04 PM PDT

Thanks Cursorcowboy.I have referred to most of the articles mentioned without results or some do not apply.one particular site I use regularly will be ok nine out of ten times but then change to the wrong character set, same for links. I have installed Norton IS but the troubles began before that.It was suggested that I make sure that file types Art image (.art) GIF image (.gfa, .gif) JPEG image (.jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg)are associated by default with Microsoft Internet Explorer but won't that interfere with my Image Editing software?

Collapse -
May I make this suggestion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 11:17 PM PDT

I read your first post and it had a full and complete answer. But your next post alludes to a problem that you need to clarify and make a new post with all the details.

Its as if you were trying to solve a problem, but didnt' ask how to solve the problem but wanted an explanation about what something does and now you reveal there is a problem you wanted to solve. I purposed mangled that last sentance on purpose. Disregard it as a bad example of how to communicate your issue.

Take time to present the real problems you are trying to solve next time.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: May I make this suggestion?
by gaia / August 16, 2004 10:43 PM PDT

Thanks. Point taken. As mentioned,I have tried many solutions without success. I didn,t want to confuse with too much detail and finished confusing myself!

Collapse -
Just some thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2004 10:50 AM PDT

As it stands, for Windows 98/ME, I have a ripout and reinstall method for those OSes involving IEradicator and Firefox...

Many small issues can just be cleared up with IEFIX you can find with google.com and learn what it does.

In closing my policy about spyware is simple. None. I find IE to be too prone to malware creeping in requiring the users to spend years finding and fixing the pest damage. Look up Adaware, Spybot and the article you find from DOXDESK to see the issues.

Hopefully you'll find the issue, but be sure you are in firm control of your firewall. Many won't suspect it, but again it came up and interfered with GMAIL for no good reason. I hope they tweak that so the users don't have to work so hard.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just some thoughts.
by gaia / August 17, 2004 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Just some thoughts.

Thanks Bob for your comments
I will look into your suggestions. Regards.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?