Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Enabling Active Desktop on Windows XP?

I cannot seem to enable active desktop on my windows xp home edition. I have IE 6.02. Have only come to many dead ends with the help files. It does not seem to be in my directory at all. How am I to download the desktop update to get this application to work? My problem is that i do not have this "Web tab of the Desktop Items dialog box"....If I did, things would be so much easier.
Believe me, I've read and read and read....till my
eyeballs come close to launching out of my head, and I have not been able to fix this problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Enabling Active Desktop on Windows XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Enabling Active Desktop on Windows XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Enabling Active Desktop on Windows XP?

In reply to: Enabling Active Desktop on Windows XP?

I went to help and support and found active desktop isn't installed by default in Windows XP. I also didn't find any answers how to install it. Everything listed either didn't work or didn't apply to XP or IE6.

What are you trying to do? Maybe there is another way to accomplish the same task.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Enabling Active Desktop on Windows XP?

I don't believe there is another way to accomplish this task as certain applications I wish to run need this enabled in order to function (web ticker for stocks for example)

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Enabling Active Desktop on Windows XP?

I've also been searching. I would like to add desktop items, but XP only gives option for themes. Can it be added/activated?

Collapse -
Disable / Enable Active Desktop ...

Click Start, Run type regedit and press Enter. Expand the following path:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

In the right pane, search for NoActiveDesktop. Right click, select Modify and change its value from 1 to 0.

Repeat the same procedure for the following path:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Notes

HKCU is HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKLM is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

The NoActiveDesktop could be present on either or both pathes that's why you'll have to check in two places. Exit regedit and you'll be able to see the missing Web Tab.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
''Web Content''

1. When you right-click a blank area on the desktop on a computer that runs Windows XP Personal or Professional, the shortcut menu does not display the Active Desktop command because by default, it is disabled, [Q290247]. Web Content (right-click the desktop, Properties, Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop, in the Desktop Items dialog box, click the Web tab, then click New, and follow the instructions) is sometimes called Active Desktop.

2. To enable, [Q297846]:

a. Click Start, Run, type: gpedit.msc, and then either click OK or press ENTER.

b. Locate the policy settings in the User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop folder.

c. Right-click Enable Active Desktop, click Properties, click Enabled, and then click OK.

3. Active Desktop is disabled when the value of the ActiveDesktop property (NoActiveDesktop found in the right window) is set to a numeric zero instead of a one in the following registry addresses:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

4. The article [Q305117] warns that when you try to display icons and icon labels that have a transparent background or a drop-shadow effect, the backgrounds of the icon and of the desktop text is the same as the background color that is set in the Advanced Appearance dialog box in Display Properties which occurs if you use desktop content that turns on the Active Desktop feature.

5. The by default "Pop-up Blocker" a new feature in Internet Explorer, blocks most unwanted pop-up windows from appearing and the automatic and background pop-up windows are blocked, but the pop-up windows that are opened by the user will still open in the usual manner.

Note: The article [Q843015] explains that after installing Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), pop-up windows may still appear, even though the Pop-up Blocker feature is turned on, occurs for the following reasons, and describes troubleshooting tips:

a. You click a link that opens a pop-up window.

b. The Web site where the pop-up window originates is either in the Trusted sites Web content zone or the Local intranet Web content zone. Because Web sites in these zones are considered safe, their pop-up windows are never blocked.

c. The pop-up window is opened by software that is running on the computer.

d. The pop-up window is opened by ActiveX controls that are enabled from a Web site.

6. Supplemental reading:

a. "A Description of the Changes to the Security Settings of the Web Content Zones in Internet Explorer 6 (Q300443)."

b. Troubleshooting Web Content Problems."

Collapse -
Re: ''Web Content''

In reply to: ''Web Content''

The gpedit.msc is not available in xp home edition.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.