Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Enable Macros

Windows XP with Office XP 2002

Some how I keep getting a message when opening word to enable or disable macros. After a google search I beleive it is due to a recent install of WinFax Pro. It says the digital signature is out of date.

GetFaxing.com offers a up to date digital signed macro that will supposedly work. However they want $24.95 to purchase the shareware. For those of you that have encountered this problem, what did you do?

My thought is symantec should provide an up to date signed driver. I'm not sure how to approach this however. Their live update says everything is up to date. Have any of you dowloaded a newer version from them? Or do you have sugestions?

Thanks,

Rod

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Enable Macros
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Enable Macros
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Enable Macros

In reply to: Enable Macros

Macros could be dangerous if they contain harmful code and be allowed to run, but could be one's saviour if they are productive and clean. I think the macro from Symantec that you mentioned could be considered clean and be allowed to run. To allow this macro, open Word, click Tools, go to Macro, then click Security, under Security Level click Low. Remember by clicking Low you can allow potentially unsafe macros to run. Just be wary of macros coming from other sources.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Enable Macros

Yes I could do that, thanks for the suggestion. However I'm looking for another option. I'm not sure how to ask semantec or where to look but I'd prefer the settings to be normal or high.

Rod

Collapse -

symantec has a fix on there site, but it doesn't fix it. LOL I sent them an abusive reply cause I got mad and frustrated after waisting an hour or more.

Collapse -

Good for them.

Collapse -

Just sharing that when they get an abusive note, they may blacklist you as such and not be as nice or as supportive if there was just a firm and continuing request for support.

The issue here is that to thwart macro virus's, Microsoft has implemented such warnings. The fallout are issues like yours, but let me share one item that may or may not apply. I have not re-read your entire thread because it takes too much time with this forum software.

If checking a box labled "don't ask me again" doesn't stick, make sure your account is an administot type account. We have had to temporarily grant users admin status for onetime use and then revoke such in some Office annoyances. There is no cure in the pipe for such issues.

bob

Collapse -

I only wish there was a box saying don't ask me again. I have no clue how to set me as admin status. I'll do some reading but it looks like it's going to be set on low security for now.

The issue is a digital signature from symantec is expired. That's why I get the message. There fix is install an older file, which still gives a warning. Some fix, I had that allready. They can bar me I don't care. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy another one of their products.

Rod

Collapse -
macros

just what i was looking for.

ok, i only open documents from reputable sources,always virus scanned first, such as the one from microsoft i was finally able to open with macros enabled.

my question is, is there a way to view what macros are enclosed in such a document?

and one other thing, why would a word document need a macro? presuming such a file is from an ok source (ie ms) whats goin on here?

tia!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.