General discussion

Employee Monitoring Software

Hello Happy

I'm looking for an Employee Monitoring Software that will work over the Internet, not on local LAN.

Our employees are located in different offices and are connected to different networks.
We can install the software locally.

I've seen a lot of products but most of them are only for LAN and the others don't specify.

Please help.
Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Employee Monitoring Software
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Employee Monitoring Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just checking.
- Collapse -
we are aware

We are aware of the laws, and employees are aware of the situation as well.

- Collapse -
Good.

Now that you have your search set out for you, you make a list and start calling the names you find and see what system works for your company.

Can I share a story here? Some folk get irate when such stories are told but here goes. I didn't work for said company but they installed monitoring software in which remote viewing of the employee screens was possible. What resulted was that this consumed almost all of the company's IT staffer's time as well as slowed all the machines a little.

The real problem was the employees found this objectionable and what happened next was the employees only doing what they were told and nothing more. Innovation and good will died there and the company folded in a few months after the monitoring began.

You can make what you will from that but my take is the company lost focus on its goals.

If you have a competitor, you want this to be used there!
Bob

- Collapse -
The solution

It is 100% legal for an employer to monitor his employees activities whenever they are on company time and/or use company equipment as using them for frivolous personal use not only costs the company money, but could damage their reputation if an employee sends and obsence e-mail from a work address. There is no such thing as workplace privacy; if you don't want your employer to know, don't e-mail or talk about it at work. Now this is one particular software to satisfy your needs http://www.workexaminer.com

- Collapse -
the solution

only forces your employees to do one of these, buy a piece of junk newspaper, use there smart phones (which you do not have control over, period) or if they are within reach of a wifi connection to simply bring in a laptop/iPad and do what they want.

What you as a supposedly adult manager should know, treating your staff (who are generally more aware than you are) like children, will make them act like children, which isn't very productive.

Here's a super secrete idea, give them their tasks for some period we'll call X and if they finish/smoke your expectations, then leave them alone until next week/month/biweekly whatever. Your only concern is that when something comes in is that it goes out asap, without you pestering your staff.

I speak from experience, treat me like a kid/and you'll have a dozen. Treat me like a responsible (possibly) bored adult and (well you get the picture.)

I hope that you take it upon yourself to try what I've suggested, because where I work the people who have jobs crammed down their throats, never perform as well as those that have a general guidance, such as we need (insert reasonable list) this done by the end of the (insert timeframe that won't freak them out) and your productivity will likely double.

Your staff is likely competent, give it a chance and you may be quite surprised.

- Collapse -
Agree 100 Per Cent

Has shown to be the case at anyplace I have worked over the past decade.

- Collapse -
non invasive employee monitoring software
- Collapse -
Spyware at it's purest

If this is all the more faith you have in your employee's, It's time to get yourself some NEW Employee's

- Collapse -
My expirience

I used ActyMac DutyWatch. It can send you an e-mail report about computer activity.
Don't know about LAN - i think you can talk with the support.
Soft works good - i'm satisfied.
http://www.actymac.com/dutywatch - their site

- Collapse -
Employee Monitoring Software
- Collapse -
Work Examiner or Track When Employee Tracking

It depends of what you try to achieve exactly.

If you want to track their computers I recommend Work Examiner

If you want to track their movement over GPS I recommend TrackWhen Employee tracking

And as someone mentioned earlier; tracking people while they're on their working time is perfectly legal and moral.

CNET Forums

Forum Info