General discussion

Employee Locator Device

I wonder how many corporations actually issue 'employee locator devices'?
http://dilbert.com/fast/2011-05-27/
I know it's a comic, but Scott Adams has to get his ideas from SOMEWHERE.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Employee Locator Device
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Employee Locator Device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
employee cars often have GPS tracking in them.
- Collapse -
Like Dilbert, there is also GPS in phones

My son used to have his own band and his band was the opening act for another band. One night he and the other band leader were thoroughly drunk and passed out in an alley. The others found them by their phone GPS. I used to use family locator on my kids.

Diana

- Collapse -
Some phones at least

it's in the options settings whether you want GPS on or off for calls other than 911.

- Collapse -
I have a company car with a GPS

It's just a transceiver tucked away in the glove box so it's of no use to me personally. It's not used for spying one me...or so I'm told...but to locate the nearest person to a customer in need...or so I'm told. Wink

- Collapse -
There are other uses as well ...

Some companies put trackers on valuable assets like cars/trucks so they can be located if they are stolen. When I was in Honduras last week I saw very prominent signs to that effect on shipping trucks. Lojack works differently, but people put it on computers as a security precaution to allow the computer to be tracked down.

- Collapse -
I thought that progressive shipping companies, who

could afford the up-front, were putting them in trailers to track spoilables and other valuables.

Also heard that rental car companies were using them.

Looking over the thread, I think it best to say we never had this conversation. Happy

- Collapse -
XKCD has a toon with another idea.
- Collapse -
That's cute ...

The author has a skewed world view, but I usually enjoy his work.

- Collapse -
Have you hovered your cursor over the cartoon?

I get a popup message block with............

- Collapse -
Oh yes ...

That's one of the characteristics of the cartoons. There's always a popup with an additional comment.

On the newer cartoons there is another way to display the alt-text but I didn't find it on this cartoon.

I do like the warning at the bottom of the strips:
Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be
unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for
adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for
liberal-arts majors).

CNET Forums