Android forum

Question

Emergency: Need to see details of a Facebook message sent fr

by lucreziavannecker / March 21, 2015 10:37 PM PDT

I want to see the time a message was read (seen) by me on the Facebook Messenger chat (Android). How do I do that? I already downloaded my data, but it doesn't show the conversations I had on the chat app, only those sent/received on my computer/laptop... And the last message appears to be on February 28, and I'm sure that I've sent a couple of messages from my computer. Perhaps the data starts 20 days before requesting it (requested it on March 18)?
You can't imagine how urgent this is!

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Emergency: Need to see details of a Facebook message sent fr
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Emergency: Need to see details of a Facebook message sent fr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: facebook
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 21, 2015 11:35 PM PDT

I think facebook's own forum is a much better place to ask than a general Android forum. After all, the Facebook app is just one of a million or more Android apps that are available, so you can't expect support for all those apps on this forum.

Kees

Collapse -
facebook
by lucreziavannecker / March 22, 2015 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: facebook

I posted a question in the Facebook forum, but nobody answered so far. I was thinking that maybe Facebook may be providing such details somehow. Any idea how to get in touch with them?

Collapse -
Answer
Back to Facebook.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2015 1:18 AM PDT

I know for years I have disabled read receipts on emails. But this could be a repeat of where folk are expecting guaranteed delivery. Almost all email and such is non-guaranteed delivery. Even more true of free systems. Can really upset those that want guaranteed delivery.
Bob

Collapse -
Facebook
by lucreziavannecker / March 22, 2015 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Back to Facebook.

What about the other person who sent the message? Can he see when I read it?
The point is that I received a message from a person I wasn't friends with, but since these messages go to the "Other" folder, it didn't show up in my conversations, and I didn't receive a notification about it either. That person messaged me again the follow day, perhaps 24 hours after sending the first message. An icon showed up on my phone this time, and I read both messages.
But I kind of tested this whole message thing (don't ask)... I created another account, and sent two messages to my actual account. Nothing showed up on my phone this time - but WHY?

Collapse -
For my email, no. Absolutely not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2015 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Facebook

I can forward it to others and the sender will never know.

This is how email works today. It seems to really upset those that want certified read mail or control over who reads it.
Bob

Collapse -
Facebook Messenger
by kim112200 / March 23, 2015 3:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Facebook

I've read in facebook help page that if you're sending a message to someone you're not connected to on Facebook it may arrive in the "Other Folder" however when someone views your most recent message it will be marked seen. There were times whey you're using a mobile the updates seems to be delayed you just need to refresh your messenger or you might need to update it for newer version.

Collapse -
Answer
Let's also note this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2015 4:14 AM PDT

Apps are still buggy out there. You may find that unacceptable but how did this come to be? Folk have accepted bugs in software for decades. There is no clear sign this will change.

Well, there is a way to change it. Get in there and write a better app.
Bob

Collapse -
Facebook data
by lucreziavannecker / March 22, 2015 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's also note this.

Has anyone else downloaded their Facebook data? I'm curious if the messages sent from their smartphones showed up.

Collapse -
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2015 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Facebook data
Collapse -
Know that already.
by lucreziavannecker / March 22, 2015 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

I read that before requesting the data, but it doesn't say anything about that. I'll try and request my data again - I'm curious to see if the last message still appears to be sent on February 28.

Collapse -
The link given does note when it won't show.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2015 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Know that already.

Also, email is not that reliable. Leo writes more at http://ask-leo.com/why_does_email_get_lost.html

That was 2007 and it's worse now as many sites must block a lot due to the spammers.

If you want reliability you won't use FB or EMAIL. You'll have to get your own server, turn on read receipt and resend if some receipt never arrives.

However there are folk that explode on this area. They assumed the email always goes through or use it for a business!
Bob

Collapse -
Question
by lucreziavannecker / March 22, 2015 6:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
That is so much to write that I'll just link a SNOPES about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2015 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Question
Collapse -
About access, count, etc.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2015 6:22 AM PDT

You can test that now.

Collapse -
Thank you.
by lucreziavannecker / March 22, 2015 6:57 PM PDT

Thank you for your answer. Facebook claims that all active sessions (including past ones) are included with the downloaded data, and if that's true, then my problem is hopefully solved.

Thank you once again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?