Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

!!!EMERGENCY BACKUP NEEDED!!!

I's sitting behind my desk at work right now, as the laptops battery just finally wore completely down and the charger is at home, so the information is not going to be all that you want from me... (I say this because I know you guys need that stuff, but I'm gonna give you what I can...)

***I know this is going to be long, but please read it all, this is very important to me***

This is a laptop, and it is a Maximate 420... Don't know the specs but it's ok... probably a little better than 1gig... it has only the following...

cdrom
floppy drive
1 usb port
ethernet
phone
and the slot for the linksys wireless network card

it is running windows xp home, and I'm not sure of which service pack... I do know that it had most of the hotfixes?

We went to watch a movie on it the other night that a friend gave us... it was on a burned disc... an avi video... which itself didn't cause the problem... but it wasn't playing becuase of missing codecs...

I installed ace codec pack... which i have on my computer and have put on other computers... and no problem... there wasn't even a problem then... watched the movie and went to bed...

Next morning got up, went to play some music and the audio driver all of a sudden was bad... wouldn't play... checked system restore and she never turned it on so there was no restore poing...

Crucial

so I thought I would online and try and download a ac97 driver or something and get that working but the internet wouldn't log on!!!

I look down at the Linksys and the power is on, and the link button blinking... it keeps searching... it shows the available networks, but it will not stop searching to let you hit "connect"

Called Linksys and talked with them, they said it was a driver...

I right click on my computer and then properties and then device manager, and I was getting a blank... linksys says there is a problem with the os... they say i have to reinstall, but I go online and find out how to get them back up, by going to my computer>manage> basically all the way in there and tell the plug and play devices to be automatic (in so many words)

I looked that up on the internet, and then tried to log on but still nothing, audio plays now fine...
This is a Linksys Wireless Network Card and it's still dead

I have been round and around and around with this computer trying to set up a network... 2 things are happening...

error 711 and error 1717 when you try and set up a network... I have this at my house now, and have put in a ethernet card where the linksys card goes, and it detected it, but it won't let me go online

I used the ethernet port on the back, but it won't let me go online...

I've used a crossover cable, I've used a straight through cable... I've changed LAN settings to automatically detect... I've went through all the resolutions on support.microsoft and nothing...

*!*!*!HERE'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YET!*!*!*
This is my girlfriends computer... she is from Praya, Czeck Republic... she has all her stuff from home, and a lot of live music sets, etc...

Since there is no burner... Since I can upload all the stuff to my FTP Site... Since I can make a home network and a shared folder...

Can I reinstall Windows, and it only ONLY effect the c:\windows folder and leave the other stuff alone???

Like I could make a new c:\tempstuff and then do this...

I'm really frustrated at this point... and I don't want to go to Walmart and buy an external burner and then take it back and get my money back once I'm done.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: !!!EMERGENCY BACKUP NEEDED!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: !!!EMERGENCY BACKUP NEEDED!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
" take it back and get my money back once I'm done."

In reply to: !!!EMERGENCY BACKUP NEEDED!!!

Do people really do this?

How distasteful.

Bob

Collapse -
"how distasteful"

In reply to: " take it back and get my money back once I'm done."

Apparently so, that's why I said that I wouldn't want to do that... that's also why I'm trying to find out what else I can do... I don't want to go buy a burner for her old laptop, but I do want to make sure that if her memories and other important things on her laptop can be saved by me researching and asking you guys for help. Then I will in good faith apply what you guys suggest and hope for the best... I'm just trying to help her.

Collapse -
Try a PARALLEL INSTALL of the OS.

In reply to: "how distasteful"

Collapse -
Parallel Install...

In reply to: Try a PARALLEL INSTALL of the OS.

If I choose to go this route... which definitely sounds like a good shot... it is possible that it will either re-write over the c:\windows drive or that it may ask for a slightly different directory name...

Would it be wise for me to go to mycomputer\c:\NewFolder - To put the stuff in that I don't want to lose... and also, will that ensure that they will not be lost... and finally, what are you rhoughts on this... is it the same thing?

<copied>
From a similar Win2k or WinXP (or WinNT) machine, format a 3?" floppy and format it as not bootable. Next, open your C: drive in Windows Explorer. If Explorer displays a warning, click Show the contents of this folder. To display the particular files you need, select Tools, Folder Options, then click the View tab. Make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected, and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). At the warning, click Yes, then OK.

Copy the files boot.ini, ntdetect.com, and ntldr to your floppy. Return to the Folder Options dialog box and recheck Hide protected operating system files and folders (Recommended) if you had to uncheck it above.

Place this floppy in the drive of the and reboot your system. Your PC will bypass the basic boot files on your hard drive, but it will otherwise load Windows normally. Then try and delete the directory if needed.

Collapse -
It appears...

In reply to: Parallel Install...

You didn't read the article. And moving files to other directories or a copy elsewhere is a good idea.

If you will not read articles about this, seek professional data recovery services.

Bob

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: It appears...

I've got what I needed with both articles... I did read them, you must be having a bad day. It will get better. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
It is important enough to push on the details.

In reply to: Thank you

If you ask me a question directly answered in the provided article, I have to push a little to see if you are using the supplied resources.

It's not my data at risk here and I don't want to see anyone lose it all.

Bob

Collapse -
decision

In reply to: It is important enough to push on the details.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be ok... I'm going to find all essential things that need to be saved and put them in a new folder titled "c:\keepthese" then I am going to restart it and have it boot with my windows xp pro disk in the drive, (she has xp home)and I'm going to go through the license agreement and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to put it on the same partition as the c:\windows now, but what I'm not clear on is this... (I read so many articles today on this stuff, that I don't remember where I got this from but, ...)
If I check the "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)" I should be looking at what seems like a new install, but when I get done I should have:

Windows XP PRO and in C:\ there should be a folder named keepthese from before...

Is this correct?

Collapse -
The parallel install should not touch that.

In reply to: decision

Best of luck!

Collapse -
Worked like a champ, but now I have a new problem

In reply to: The parallel install should not touch that.

I did exactly what we talked about yesterday... Only I wasn't able to install XP... the ONLY system it would let me put on there was 2000... I don't understand why that is... But I put it on there and went in under documents and settings and saw the old user account, shared that folder on my network and burned it to a disk...

that's all I needed, and now it's time for a new clean install... but it's not letting me... It kept saying something about a bad hybernation partition, and it's constantly looking for boot logs/records at start up... and every time I have the WinXP disk in, it's asking me to report a 6 digit code to MS.

SO, I took out an old Win98 startup disk, and ran fdisk to delete the partition, (I know this sounds bad, but no other install was letting me get anywhere)Then I tried to start the WinXP install, but still it would not let me.

It would let me do a brand new install of 2000, and so I did that... thinking that since it's install would allow you to delete a partition, and then create a partition and then format it, it would "possibly" take care of that bad partition or whatever it is that's not letting me do the WinXP install...

After a successful installation of windows 2000 I restart the computer with the WinXP disk in, and once again it wouldn't let me do it... SO I took the disk out, restarted windows 2000 and put the XP disk in from in Windows 2000... it let me start the install...

Next it wanted to restart... so I let it, and when booting up, it asks to make a selection between the following...

Windows 2000 Professional
Windows XP Setup

I choose the set up, and every time I go in there, and it starts copying files it says that

* there may not be enough memory to perform it
then a minute later when it gives up, while loading it says...
* could not load up the files for the XP install (that's obviously not worded exact)

But now, I can't install the XP, and it won't let me go back into 2000 either... I don't know what in the heck to do... It had XP on it before, and it worked great... In fact I'm almost certain that's what it came with... it's a Pentium III

Maybe you can decipher this information and help me out some... if not, let me know what other information I can get you... Thanks so much... This is driving me nuts and I really really have to knock this out today.

Collapse -
2 things.

In reply to: Worked like a champ, but now I have a new problem

Windows 2000 is a great place to be. I would not have bothered to go to XP.

As to calling Microsoft, that's called activation. You do that or you don't run XP.

Bob

Collapse -
Activation...

In reply to: 2 things.

it's not an activation thing... it's some sort of disk error...

It says searching for boot record from cd.....................

then it goes to a screen that seems like it's going to the setup menu and it says the following...

Error booting from CD/DVD drive.
Please report the eight-digit status code to mterlouw@bootscriptor.org.
Press any key to reboot...

at the bottom right hand corner of the screen there is
[.................................]00400079

That is with the XP cd in... There is nothing wrong with my disk or my registration... I haven't gotten to that point...

now that it started installing xp from inside 2000 it will only allow me to continuew with the xp setup... and everytime it pulls the xp screen up, and then it will go to the blue screen where at the bottom you see
Please wait.......
and then it loads files...

Maybe i'm getting all these problems becuase i'm upgrading..?

Finally it says,
Setup was unable to verify drive C:

Your computer may not have enough memory to examine the drives, or your Windows XP CD may contain some corrupted files. (not true)

What do you think about that...

Thanks for your patience.

Collapse -
"Please report the eight-digit status code to mterlouw@boots

In reply to: !!!EMERGENCY BACKUP NEEDED!!!

"Please report the eight-digit status code to mterlouw@bootscriptor.org."

That's a known pirate CD.

This is my last response to you. No one helps a pirate here.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.