Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Emerald Ash Borer

by Willy / February 25, 2010 11:37 PM PST

Well, now that winter is here and all foliage is down, I can more clearly see the damage. The state of Ohio was or is aggressively trying to rid of this pest that came from CHINA! Now, it impacts my little livelihood of selling firewood, I simply can't. In order to do so, I have to strip the bark and/or dispose of the bark and infested wood, etc., it becomes a whole industry of itself. I wasn't making that much on the firewood sales, but it was certainly welcomed. It was one of the few things the land could support me on and having the 2ndary purpose of clearing fence line and areas that needed it anyways. the only benefit i have now with wood is using it myself. However, since the whole woods and the surrounding area is bound to be infested, I'm sure the state will come around.

FYI- Just so you know, the Emerald Ash Borer was reportedly 1st found out by a person buying an artificial Xmas tree upon opening the box the wood part(s) were infested. The resulting investigation that pallets they were shipped on were or was part of the imported shipment. -----Willy Happy

shipment as the source.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Emerald Ash Borer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Emerald Ash Borer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
can you plant different trees?
by James Denison / February 26, 2010 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Emerald Ash Borer

Don't know if it will grow there as fast, but the tulip poplar is the fastest growing tree here in the mid atlantic area. I planted two about 15 years ago and the trunks at chest high are already past a foot thick, or about 3 foot circumference.

Do you use "coppicing" method? Cut the trees while young enough new shoots come and then thin to a few per trunk so they can use the existing root structure and replace the wood faster than planting or waiting for new volunteer seedlings. In England was a long standing practice for centuries. Here's one of natural selection, but I think cutting off all but 3-4 of the strongest shoots works better.

Collapse -
Pollarding
by James Denison / February 26, 2010 12:30 AM PST
Collapse -
All natural
by Willy / February 26, 2010 9:45 AM PST

Nope, its all natural. I don't plant ash as its very aggressive in open spots, so it just happens. I have oak(and ash) I sell for pallets now and then, but the popular and walnut don't really grow fast and so its not something to count on. The woods here is growing on very sparse open areas and/or free of rock outcropping. The area isn't called, "limestone capital" for nothing. Anyways, the trees that don't make it tend to fall after 5-6 yrs. of growth in areas not easily rooted. The fastest growing tree is the cottonwood, which makes a mess when sporing/seedings, etc. and they grab any free spot. these I try to keep under control but its very hard to. This isn't easy work and now because of my condition I find it very tiring when the next season comes, so its not all bad. However, NO I don't plant or try another growing methods. Its a swamp when its wet time and dry when its not.

The only trees I wanted to plant are swarf apple and pear. Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
OK
by James Denison / February 26, 2010 4:56 PM PST
In reply to: All natural

Although aspens should grow fast anywhere cottonwoods do. I think they are related. Poplar means different things in different places. Actually the tulip poplar is a member of same group as magnolias. Great wood for cabinet making, very white, stains well. It also drops limbs easily as it grows straight and tall. Great for cutting firewood from, less to trim off. The wood is aromatic too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron_tulipifera
In the forest this tree reaches a size that may be properly called magnificent. The trunk rises like a Corinthian column, tall and slender, the branches come out symmetrically, and the whole contour of the tree, though somewhat formal, possesses a certain stately elegance

Originally described by Linnaeus, Liriodendron tulipifera is one of two species in the genus Liriodendron in the magnolia family. It is also called the tuliptree Magnolia, or sometimes confusingly, tulip poplar or yellow poplar, although it is unrelated to the poplars of the family Salicaceae.

The soft, fine-grained wood of tulip trees is misleadingly known as "poplar" (short for "yellow poplar") in the U.S., but marketed abroad as "American tulipwood" or by other names. It is very widely used where a cheap, easy-to-work and stable wood is needed.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=tulip+poplar

Collapse -
Other trees
by Willy / February 26, 2010 9:20 PM PST
In reply to: OK

I've checked and it seems the cottonwood is the Eastern Poplar, go figure.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b700/b700_20.html

FYI, I know about Sycamore trees as well. However, I like to call them "railroad trees" as they grow along the tracks sides very easily anything that seems to be a slight hill. We used to like them as kids because you could easily break off branches and then swipe off small branches of leaves and make whips, of course we chased each other around. When that wasn't enough, we make bows out of them and use some weeds as arrows, sticking a nail in the soft center of that weed and let fly.

Collapse -
my Dad's previous home
by James Denison / February 27, 2010 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: Other trees

Where he lived for about 30 years, I had planted him two sycamores in 1987. I planted two tulip poplars at my place in 1989 or 1990. Those sycamores grew almost as fast as the tulip poplars! I'd originally looked for a cottonwood to plant at his place in St. Petersburg but none could be found in the nurseries there. My idea was to help shade a large back room area (enclosed porch) with a low profile roof from the hot Florida sun. In the interim he covered it with brite white roofing material. It took about 10 years, but by then it was up enough to provide some good shade and when he sold the house a few years ago you could see those sycamore trees from the street over the top of the house, and shading the whole back area. Even though the Maryland growing season is shorter than Florida, the tulip poplars did grow faster than the sycamores.

Collapse -
The Tulip Poplar War of Kentucky
by James Denison / February 26, 2010 5:01 PM PST
In reply to: All natural
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?