Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Embedded YouTube videos on Facebook are "white-ed out."

by Carrie2525 / October 4, 2012 2:52 AM PDT

I have noticed that for the last few weeks, I am unable to view embedded YouTube videos in my Facebook feed. This appears to be specific to YouTube, as I have no trouble viewing videos that my friends upload from their phones. When I try and play a YouTube video that someone else has posted, I can hear the sound, and if you tilt the laptop screen just right, you can see that the video *is* playing, but it looks like the contrast has been turned up to where everything is all white. (Since the default background color of Facebook is also white, it almost looks like no video is playing--only sound.)

I have updated Adobe Flash Player several times, and I am sure I have the latest version. I am also running IE 9, which I am told by Windows Update and Microsoft, is the latest version.

It is not specific to my Facebook account--any user who logs on to my computer has the same issue with YouTube videos.

The problem appears to be isolated to Internet Explorer. When I (and others) log into Facebook with Google Chrome on my same laptop, the videos all play just fine.

I can't figure out what is going on. Any ideas??

Carrie2525 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Embedded YouTube videos on Facebook are "white-ed out."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Embedded YouTube videos on Facebook are "white-ed out."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Carrie2525

Collapse -
So...we're not even going to try and fix it?
by Carrie2525 / October 4, 2012 5:20 AM PDT

Well, I can tell you that I don't enable the In-Private Browsing, so I don't think that's it. As far as add-ons, the only ones that show enabled in IE9 are the following:

-- Shockwave Flash Object (Adobe)
-- XML DOM Document (Microsoft)
-- Office Document Cache Handler (Microsoft)
-- Deployment Toolkit (Sun Microsystems, Inc)
-- Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper (Sun Microsystems, Inc)

Again, the videos are playing, but it's like someone has turned up the contrast to full white on all YouTube videos. Other embedded videos work just fine.

I'm sure it's frustrating helping people out online, but I'd really like this to work again. There's got to be something I can try...

Collapse -
There are thousands of posts about it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 5:36 AM PDT

And your clues don't lead me to any specific cure. Now that we know it's pretty stock try the usuals.

1. Disable Flash Hardware Acceleration (see google)
2. Head to the Internet Options and press the reset defaults button.
3. Try it in IE9's Safe Mode.

Given you have a working browser, it's your choice to spend time on this.
Bob

Collapse -
You're a genius
by Carrie2525 / October 4, 2012 5:38 PM PDT

Bob,

Thank you so much for your help! As soon as I disabled the Flash Hardware Acceleration, the problem disappeared. I didn't have to get too smart on how to do it, either--I found this great link that will either enable or disable it for you with one click: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528233

Your last message said that you found thousands of posts on this...were they having the same problem as me? I swear, I must've Googled twenty different iterations of this problem, and I couldn't find anyone that was having the "white-out" issue. Thankfully, I finally broke down and asked for help on a forum. I'm so glad I did.

You're awesome.

Collapse -
Thanks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2012 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: You're a genius

But the symptom is all over the map so this is one of dozens. There are other ways that sometimes fixes it such as a driver but I found that's too dangerous for forum advice.
Bob

Collapse -
Disabling Flash Hardware Acceleration Fixed Whited-out Video
by nguyCNET / July 4, 2014 4:50 PM PDT

So happy I found this post. I had the same issue on my Windows 7 Home Premium Acer Aspire laptop.

Just to confirm too that disabling the Flash Hardware Acceleration fixed the whited-out YouTube embedded videos on Facebook.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Answer
Too many causes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 3:44 AM PDT

There are issues here I can't begin to list. From in-private browsing to addons. I strongly suggest you leave this as-is and go with what works.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!