Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

emailing pictures?

Hi, What do I need to do to be able to send a lot of pictures to someone?Like thumbnails, so they can click on them to make them big...I am running Windows Me, on an older computer with not a lot of memory, so I dont want a big program.Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: emailing pictures?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: emailing pictures?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: emailing pictures?

In reply to: emailing pictures?

if u send a "thumbnail" thats all they will get - however, you can send the file in JPEG format (files of type "filename.jpg") These files are a fraction (approx 1/10-1/4)of the size of say a bitmap file (files of type "filename.bmp") - most graphics packages can covert bitmap to jpeg - if you need a free program let me know.
Alternatively, you can compress the (say) bitmap file by using a compression file program such as "winzip".
But the jpeg format was design for internet transfer in mind.
hope this helps

Collapse -

Ypu will need an e-mail program, an e-mail account with an ISP, and the picture (in whatever format you have and can make and the receiver can read) on your hard disk (or usb stick, or cd) to send as attachment.
Size of file depends on size of picture (in inches), resolution and format, so you've got some things to play with.

Kees

Collapse -

Heartland, since some email services have limitations on the size of transmissions, if you have quite a few photos, you might want to consider taking the easier way and burn the pictures to a CD and mail it to your recipient. Be sure they are in the jpg/jpeg format.

Collapse -
heartland, it is more problems than it is worth. DON'T!!!

Not only will you have problems, so will your recipient(s). In addition, sending attachments (and training yourself and friends to open them) is the "A #1 Guaranteed 100%" reason why people have computer problems.

Don't do it!

Easy solution, there are many FREE sites that you can post your pictures to and allow only certain people to view and download them. http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos&.intl=us&.linkdone=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ is one.
All you do is upload the pictures and then send the link.

Collapse -
good one

In reply to: heartland, it is more problems than it is worth. DON'T!!!

I have a kodak and have tried about 8 times to download their "easyshare' software and its not a small program 40Mb - i presume easyshare does similar things to what u have detailed but now i dont have to try and attempt number 9 - tell me, do these sites offer any special software as well???
thanks for your help
Peter

Collapse -
I use Yahoo Photo, easy to use any well known

In reply to: good one

Collapse -

I use Yahoo photos. That way you are not sending such a large file to Grandma. She may not even be able to receive such a large file.
Go to Yahoo photos and create an album by uploading your pics to it. Then all you do is send Grandma the link to that sight. (Yahoo guides you through this). She can download the pics she wants or order prints right through the website. Private albums are not viewable to anyone other that those you send the invitation to.

Collapse -

Using the program PaintShopPro 5 would allow you to resize any images downwards in size. You will find that it is available on some CDs on magazines these days. It is imperative to only send small image sizes (< 500kb) via e-mail as large images only cause major problems when sending e-mails. Any images transferred from digital cameras or scanners are by default big. All images to be sent should be saved as JPEG with a maximum size of 7 inch by 5 inch.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: emailing pictures?

You are right that if sending pictures you should limit the byte-size of the file, whether or not that point is about 500k is up for personal discussion, I don't want to do it here.

But as for the physical size being 7x5 (or 5x7) inches, that is purely arbitrary on your part. There is little coreleation to a page size (inches) and how many byes a picture is going to be. I can make a JPG file of 11x14 inches to be smaller in byte size than a 5x7. It really all depends upon the detail of the picture and the amount of compression (the amount of acceptable lossyness) a user "dials" into the JPG composer (the tool used to make or convert the picture into JPG).

Collapse -

Novatrix has a program called SendPhotosGold which will imbed copies of your photos in an email and send it to whomever you choose. It has features which allow you to chose the shape of the photo, frame, etc. Works like a charm, I use it alll the time and the people to whom I send photos have no problem enjoying them.
Jeff

Collapse -

I have found, since I go around the world, taking pictures, that it is much easier to get a Web Hosting service. Of course, this would only be feasable if you have a large number of photos to share. I have a web hosting service that costs just $119 per year, and I have 750mb of storage which allows me to place a large number of photos, and share them with a link. Of course, you can set it where the photos are restricted to only persons with the correct password, all settable from within the web site area.

I have approximately 1250 photos that I currently share on line if you would like to look.

http://www.cmytravelphotos.com

No password is needed, but if you wanted to look at a photo that is in hi-resolution, then you would have to have a password. Sign my guestbook if you want to take a look. Will be looking for you...

Vic

Collapse -

What you need to do is zip your pictures into a zip file. You need to use ZipGenius' Cutter Tool. It splits large zip file into smaller zip files for easier transfer of files. Go to www.downloads.com and download ZipGenius (It is a lot easier to use than WinZip). After you install ZipGenius than go to ZipGenius' website and install Cutter Tool from there Add-on page. You do, however, have to get who you send the pictures to download this in order for it to work. Let me know how things go.
David

Collapse -

Zipping a JPG picture will gain you almost nothing, since JPG files are already compressed.

Sometimes, in fact, you might even experience a very slight larger file size in trying to zip a JPG.

Collapse -

I have trouble in sending or receiving groups of pictures in one E-Mail.
I have a computer with a 133 clock and use Netscape
4.21 browser. Can anyone help?
Cecil

Wyatt@airmail.net

Collapse -
Re: emailing groups of pictures

Yes, I can help - DON'T send groups of pictures by email. Email was not designed with the idea of flooding the world with huge megabyte files. NEVER send photos by email unless you have first reduced the size of the picture(s) significantly by reducing them to a small size (use one of the dozens of available graphics programs) and converting them to .jpg files (compressed) - think 'snap-shot photos from the old days, about 2" x 4" or thereabouts). Never send more than 2 or 3 such photos by email.

If you really want people to see a group/collection of your photos, then join one of the many free/cheap photo web-sites available (eg. hotmail, yahoo, or Webshots - my favourite) and create an 'album'. Then use that system to 'invite' one or more selected people to view your album (free to them and for as often as you like). You can also gradually add/delete/change your album and the original invitees will always be able to see 'the latest version' automatically, and they can downloa any ones they like at their leisure. So much nicer and more considerate of you not to clog up communications by forcing someone to wait 30 + minutes while yet another megabyte blurry out-of-focus boring picture of you on holiday slowly dribbles over their dial-up connection.

Spend time taking nice interesting sharp pictures - and be a good web-user.

Collapse -
Re: emailing groups of pictures

In reply to: Re: emailing groups of pictures

I would like to second the recommendation to use Webshots (www.webshots.com). A plus with it is that you can also set up the pictures as your screensaver or wallpaper. (along with their thousands of lovely professional pictures.) You--or your gramma--can also order mugs and T-shirts and whatnot with the pictures on them--I did mugs, and the quality was great. Their uploading tool couldn't be simpler. I haven't tried Yahoo so it may well be comparable. But from the number of folks mentioning it, it is probably also a lot busier

Collapse -

Try uploading the pictures to a web-site where other can view, edit, print or view as a slide show. The site is free and works great. www.picturetrail.com

Collapse -

I use the ACDSee program I have installed here. It has a built in tool called SendPix which will upload your photographs to an album on the Internet. You then e-mail that link to whoever you wish to see those photos and they can then view the photos as thumbnails or full size at the click of a mouse Happy

It is incredibly simple and your album remains available for 30 days. As the service is free, the album is deleted after 30 days, but you are notified by e-mail about a week before it is deleted.

You can get a trial version by following the links on the http://www.sendpix.com

Collapse -

You might want to give Pixpo a try. It's a P2P image sharing program that's gaining popularity. From their web site:

"Picture sharing using PiXPO is easier than email and 10x faster. PiXPO uses revolutionary p2p sharing technology to make image sharing instantaneous! No more waiting for uploads or downloads."

You create a photo album, decide whether it should be public or private, and then send out links via e-mail to your friends and family. Pretty straightforward. It's not a huge program either. Nice interface.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Did PixPo fix that spam look email issue?

If you see an email from a Pixpo user, the banners and such at the top makes it look like spam and most will just delete it.

Hopefully they will move such banners to the bottom of the message.

Bob

Collapse -

I live in Argentina and my daughter with grandchildren in Spain. We do email bunches of photographs but we also use MSN groups space for pix until an email is received by either telling that they were downloaded ok. Then we erase the albums and that's that. Ready to start all over again.

Collapse -

The best way my friend is to create a Web Site,I have relatives that live about 150 miles from me in England and relatives that live in Australia, our relatives in england paid us a Visit with their 2 Children I took a lot of pictures and edit them to produce a Small Web Site for the Folks in Australia to see this is the best way as sending lots of attachments of the photos that you want would exceed your email box limits, the Folks in Australia loved seeing the relatives in england good luck to you

to see an example of what I mean check out

www.spoffs.co.uk/visit

Collapse -

Two options are built into Windows:
1) If you use outlook express for email, go to tools/accounts. Select properties for your acct then advanced tab. Choose sending option to break appart messages greater than a size you can select.
2) Use Windows messenger: Select a contact and choose "send a file or photo".

You can also use Hello at www.hello.com, a free peer to peer/instant messaging program that has received good reviews in the press and works quite well. Picassa is for sale but adds little to the functionality of Hello.

Collapse -

While you can send highly compressed jpegs, they will not print well. I believe your best shot is to go with one of the free photo sharing sites. A search for "photo sharing" will bring up a host of sites.

I am using one that gives me 100mb of free storage and will allow downloading of pix which are exactly as I uploaded. In other words, if I upload some 2.5mb high res jpegs, the same 2.5mb high res jpegs can be downloaded. They can even be printed on your local printer directly from the site.

To make life easier for your audience all of whom may not have high speed broadband, you could have 2 folders - one for viewing grade pix scaled to say 800 x 600 and compressed to about 50kb and the other for printing grade pix which can be the pix directly from your digitral camera.

Most if not all of these free photo sharing hosts will provide for ordering prints from your pix.

Try out a couple of the sites to see which suit you best.

By the way, don't bother to zip jpegs. You may end up with a file that is even bigger. Jpegs are already compressed and zipping won't help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.