HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Emailing large attachments

by JeniJJ / September 16, 2008 2:56 AM PDT

Hi,
I'm a PhD student and frequently send articles (as PDF usually) to colleagues via email. I usually have to send many emails with one or two attachments each in order to get them out because they are so large. It is cumbersome for both me and my colleagues. I use a MAC at school and a PC laptop so any help for both would be appreciated. I know there are online services, but is there an easier way? I thought zipping might work but I'm unclear about that process. I also know about online storage like Google Docs, but I want to be able to email them rather than this option.

Thank you, Jeni

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Emailing large attachments
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Emailing large attachments
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
one solution you can try
by jonah jones / September 16, 2008 3:04 AM PDT
yousendit

basically, you upload to their site, they send an email to the recipient and the recipient downloads whenever convenient

fast and free

hope this helps

jonah

Collapse -
Two other options . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 16, 2008 7:26 AM PDT

Outlook Express has an automatic file splitter. You can tell it to send large attachments and break it up before it sends. It will automatically put it back together at the other end. From Outlook Help:

To send large messages

Many e-mail and news servers limit the size of the messages you can receive and send. Usually this limit is one megabyte (1 MB) per message, including all attached files.

With Outlook Express, you can send large messages or files to e-mail and news servers that have size limits, by breaking the messages into smaller ones. When the group of messages is received, the e-mail program combines them into one message.

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
On either the Mail or News tab, click Properties.
On the Advanced tab, select the Break apart messages larger than x KB check box and then enter the maximum file size the server will allow.

Go to my site below and click on the Free Software link. Download and install File Splitter.

Wayne (IBM freak - 7)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.

Collapse -
A really good one
by 3rdalbum / September 19, 2008 8:02 PM PDT

Yousendit were good until they lowered the file size limit to a mere 10 megs.

Megaupload is a great file uploading service that will e-mail the recipient a link to the document, and I think their size limit is 500 megabytes. I've used it a lot and I highly recommend it; however the interface is Flash based and it doesn't seem to be compatible with the Flash 10 betas yet.

Their video sharing service, Megavideo, has no time limits, which is fantastic when your dramatic masterpiece won't fit into Youtube's 10 minute limit.

Collapse -
Emailing Large Attachments
by scottnla / September 20, 2008 10:33 AM PDT

MailBigFile.com has a file size limit of a whopping 100MB and it's FREE. You upload the file, they send an email to the recipient who downloads at their convenience. Couldn't be easier! I just emailed 16 large files this way without a hitch.

Collapse -
posting large attatchments
by dereksaunders9 / September 21, 2008 12:16 AM PDT

i use a few programs depending on how big i want to send
PANDO allows you to send files up to 1GB,free in each post and through your email and it doesnt have to get scanned ,
GSPLIT ,i like this 1 you can send quite large files if you can onlty send 10mb in your email you can split the file into 10mb bits and send it the reciever does not have to install gsplit as you can send it and it can re assemble to the original file itself,take care

Collapse -
two more choices
by porsche10x / September 21, 2008 2:57 AM PDT

You might want to reconsider online services. They are not as cumbersome as you might think. I frequently use xdrive (provided by aol, not my favorite company in general, but xdrive works ok, and it's free depending on disk space). If you google "free online disk space" or "free online disk storage" you will see many providers of similar free services.

Another alternative is available if you have access to your own website. You can simply use FTP transfers to upload and download large files to your webspace. It's easy to set up password protection as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.