Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Email warning for Feb 3

by TONI H / February 2, 2006 1:39 AM PST

Friday (tomorrow)

Kama Sutra worm is scheduled to hit as of that date and will wipe out files on your harddrive if you open the email attachment.

The subject line will most often be of a sexual nature, but could also say "coolest video ever" or something to that effect, and most times it will come from a source known to you (spoofed sender).

Do yourself and your friends a favor and NOT forward any jokes or other emails so they don't have to worry about opening anything, especially tomorrow.

This is not the garden variety worm that just is a pest with spam or adware or tracking garbage...this one is a pretty bad one. If you suspect even a little bit that you will accidentally open an infected email, back up your important files TODAY.

Have your antivirus program up to date immediately.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Email warning for Feb 3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Email warning for Feb 3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have to open the email attachment
by John Robie / February 2, 2006 5:09 AM PST

Its been, what... 6-7 years since the "Love Bug" caught millions by surprise who just couldn't resist opening the 'Love' email attachment. It affected both the government in England and even our Pentagon. It has been thoroughly preached through the years, and I thought everyone since then knew not to open email attachments even from relatives and/or friends. Exceptions are those that must do so in business.

Yes, your anti-virus may catch this one since it is known in advance, but there can and may be some like the "love bug" that are so new that none of the anti-virus program originator can put out a fix in time.

Still, the old advice is 'Don't open Email Attachments', even photo's can be sent without an attachment, and forward jokes do not have to be an attachment.

Collapse -
There are many attachments
by TONI H / February 2, 2006 5:23 AM PST

that are actually embedded right into the message itself so it may not show up as an actual attachment with a paperclip.

If you let everyone know ahead of time, today, that you will NOT be sending any emails to people tomorrow, they will be warned at that point to NOT open anything that shows it may be coming from you.

One day of abstinence of sending out emails tomorrow would be a great way of preventing it from going any further than it might already.

Unless it's an absolute necessity, I won't be emailing anybody tomorrow at all.

TONI

Collapse -
Yes, some worms can be Visual Basic
by John Robie / February 2, 2006 5:36 AM PST

Script and can exist embedded in the header of a message.

I haven't read anywhere that this particular one is embedded.

Good advice you are giving Toni.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reminder
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2006 5:16 AM PST

just emailed my dad about this. He's a bit gullible but been lucky so far. I'm due to go help him with his Win '98 box tomorrow to get him into Firebird/Thunderbird and off of IE and Netscape. It's already hopeless and don't need any surprises.

Collapse -
If one observes the old rule.....
by Mac McMullen / February 2, 2006 5:51 AM PST

Most people would not get into trouble. If you don't know the sender, don't open the mail.

However, with the virus hijacking address books, there is the possibilty that it would appear the incoming was from a known source. Be suspicious of the subject line.

Like my answering machine: ''At the beep leave your name and number, and a short message, IF....we know who you be, we'll return your call at the earliest possibility''.

Collapse -
Err....Del
by John Robie / February 2, 2006 6:10 AM PST

My advice is don't open an email attachment even if you know the sender extremely well. They can send you an attachment with a worm/virus that they don't even know it has and if it happens to be brand new before your particular anti-virus program has put out a fix that you have downloaded...zap...you have had it.

Like you say with hijacking address books, I believe it is possible for evil to fake a message from a friend. I occasionally get email that shows a named friend that seems suspect, so I right click and see that it doesn't have ''Properties'', so delete.

Collapse -
If one becomes too paranoid.....
by Mac McMullen / February 2, 2006 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: Err....Del

...they'll worry themselves beyond enjoying the use of the machine. You do what you think necessary in normal housekeeping, exercise prudent use, and then "Go for broke".

With all of the "take shelter" screams, it takes on a form of "terrorism", if we allow it.

Collapse -
Right Del....
by John Robie / February 2, 2006 7:23 AM PST

I'm not being paranoid, doing what all the experts suggest, along with exercising prudent use the same as Toni with attachments.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks T,running both NAV 06 and BOCLean,both updated
by Tony Holmes / February 2, 2006 6:13 AM PST
Collapse -
I have my OE set
by TONI H / February 2, 2006 6:42 AM PST

in Message Rules so anything with an attachment (even embedded ones) are automatically sent to my Deleted folder. As long as the Preview Pane is turned off in View/Layout of the toolbar, I can still open the Deleted folder, right click the message, choose Properties, then Message Source and be able to read the message in TEXT format ONLY and not get infected. If it's crap email, it stays in the Deleted folder. If it's something I'm actually expecting from somebody, I move the email to a different folder.

TONI

Collapse -
I preview everything in Mailwasher
by EdH / February 2, 2006 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: I have my OE set

That way I can read the emails, delete or bounce them back with a "no such address". It tells me if there are attachments but doesn't do anything with them.

Filters Spam too.

Collapse -
This moorning I made sure...
by Angeline Booher / February 2, 2006 7:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Early indications.........
by Mac McMullen / February 2, 2006 10:04 PM PST

.....are puting the threat as overstated a bit. Shades of Y2K, huh ? Put a lot of people on their feet tho, which ain't all bad.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.