Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Email Virus, Worm, or SPAM???

by gerri / January 16, 2006 11:03 PM PST

I've been having a problem with what I thought or think is SPAM. Comcast provides SPAM filter service. Now I am not so sure whether it is an email virus or worm?

I use Outlook Express 6 and Windows ME... and have been getting over 12 emails a day from misspelled names and subject header misspelled. I do NOT open these because it is apparent there is a problem.

Is this Spam or a Virus? and WHAT do I do to get rid of this...

I presently have Zone Alarm, AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware and I am faithful with keeping up to date. My AVG scanner runs every morning, and has found nothing.

PLEASE Help!
TIA
Gerri

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Email Virus, Worm, or SPAM???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Email Virus, Worm, or SPAM???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's spam.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 11:06 PM PST

But to "get rid" of it involves changing your email address each time they find you.

Bob

Collapse -
SPAM????
by gerri / January 16, 2006 11:10 PM PST
In reply to: It's spam.

I was hoping I would not have to change my email address... Sad none of them have ever changed their email because of SPAM.

What good are these SPAM filters? Do they ever work?

Thanks
gerri

Collapse -
None are perfect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: SPAM????

The spammers are hard at work figuring out what gets through. I don't bother changing addresses but use POPFILE which is about 99.99% effective. But that still means that in the 1,000 + emails that if filters, 1 gets through.

Sorry, but discussions about spam, filtering and more are legendary. I can't continue with such but refer you to POPFILE or suggest you research this further.

Bob

Collapse -
Other suggestions re SPAM
by gerri / January 16, 2006 11:20 PM PST

Short of changing my email address, is there another solution to rid SPAM.

Since I'm not the only one ever to have been spammed, I naturally wonder why nobody else in my email address contact list has changed their email address.

Thanks,
Gerri

Collapse -
I noted one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 11:37 PM PST

Please take advantage of it.

Bob

Collapse -
POP
by gerri / January 17, 2006 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: I noted one.

Gotcha....thanks for providing the SPAM site discussions too.

Very helpful...didn't realize it was such a huge problem since I never been SPAMMED in 7 or more years.

Thanks,
Gerri

Collapse -
SPAM vs. Virus
by gerri / January 18, 2006 4:32 AM PST

How do I know whether it is Spam or an email virus or worm?

Collapse -
SPAM vs. Virus
by gerri / January 18, 2006 4:32 AM PST

How do I know whether it is Spam or an email virus or worm?

Collapse -
So far we have...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: SPAM vs. Virus

Virus, trojan, spam, pest, spyware, phishing, hijacker and what else?

Let me be frank that if you don't know what it is, you surely don't want to dissect it. Just get rid of it.

Bob

Collapse -
Spam
by Lucy / January 18, 2006 3:46 AM PST

You could try downloading Mail Washer, and start bouncing these emails back. You get to see what emails you have before they reach your inbox, and by bouncing them you give the impression that your email address does not exist. I have found it excellent for these type of problems.
Lucy

Collapse -
all you have to do gerri is......
by zipitydoo / January 18, 2006 10:20 PM PST

all u have to isput it in the block senders list,in your e-mail,which is probably outlook express.just go into tools-message rules-blocked senders list.type in the spams e-mail adress and will be blocked.

Collapse -
Not that easy though....
by gerri / January 19, 2006 8:12 AM PST

I have a spam filter that my service provider, Comcast, provides. They do block most of the stuff...but it is the emails that come misspelled with subject titles that make no sense. These are the ones slipping through onto my Outlook. I do not even open them. The ads don't bother me as much as these piddly annoying ones. That is why I questioned if this was Spam or a virus. Spam is like a dominoes effect I am told, and many here identify it as SPAM.

Collapse -
Definitions (subjective and purely suggestive)
by Aivas / January 20, 2006 5:52 AM PST

Gerri:

Spam: e-mails you don't like, need or want.

Virus: something that infects your computer with a
program that does things you don't want your
computer to do. It usually shows up as an
attachment to an e-mail...or hiding inside
a CD-ROM you 'get from a friend'...or it
can even launch itself from a web site you
visit. This is why you want an active
anti-virus program, plus a firewall.
Now, I admit I was slow to add a firewall to
my computer, but that's because I rarely go
to new web sites...and when I do, it's
because it was recommended by a friend who
I trust.

Bob K

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?