Computer Help forum

General discussion

Email virus

by millcitymike / November 20, 2010 4:21 AM PST

I recently have been hit with a virus that is sending out a link to sites to all my contacts on my Contact list in windows live. Im running a firewall and i also run the avg Free 2010 version and it still does not seem to find it. I have changed my password 4 times and in each case it still manages to find it and I'm frustrated and clueless how else to attack this situation. This computer is a athalon 2.6 gig quad core, and im running windows xp. Any info would be welcome , thank you

Millcitymike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Email virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Email virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Email issue
by pgc3 / November 20, 2010 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: Email virus

Download and run Malwarebytes, if malware, etc., appears (listed in red) delete. If you like AVG go to a box store and buy the full version the free version doesn't give you what you need to preclude some issues, including the one you have described.

Collapse -
thank you
by millcitymike / November 21, 2010 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: Email issue

Thank you for your input and I'll do exactly that.

Collapse -
don't spend money til you read this!
by melissamoss / November 24, 2010 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: Email issue

The very same thing is happening to me at this moment. I found this article: http://ask-leo.com/someones_sending_from_my_email_address_how_do_i_stop_them.html and learned that merely changing your password isn't enough! I'm following up on all the necessary changes for ALL my security profile info in order to fix this. So before you go out and spend all that money on security software that you probably do NOT need check the web, do your own searches for this info. I use expensive malware/virus software and it has NOT caught any of this!! So word to the wise, read the article (copy&paste the url to a browser) and at the end of that article you will find another article about changing more than just your password. it will explain how the hacker(s) can reroute info to regain access to your account. This spoofing ordeal is rampant and it's up to the users to get wiser. good luck! ps...if you WANT to spend the money on the full version spyware/malware/antivirus packages go ahead, i'm just saying that may not help you in THIS case.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?