Computer Help forum

General discussion

email typing jumps fields

by ady_elwood / March 26, 2006 12:51 AM PST

I use Comcast email (not Outlook or OE) and when starting to type the body of a new email I get maybe 4 keystrokes into my message when the message jumps fields and finishes in the To: line. This is an intermittent problem - it happens regularly but not always. I am baffled. What can possibly be doing that and how do I make it stop?

I'm on a Dell 4600 Windows XP. I prefer the security of Comcast email but my pc is configured to allow Outlook, I just choose not to use it for my purposes. This problem is fairly new - maybe the last 6 months -it didn't always occur.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: email typing jumps fields
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: email typing jumps fields
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds Like A Comcast Issue..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 26, 2006 4:16 AM PST

I assume you're using Comcast's "webmail" site and that's where the problem occurs.. If such things aren't happening on any other websites and it's not happening when using other e-mail clients, then it's probably Comcast's site that isn't working correctly. Try contacting them and see if they are aware of the problem and possibly a way to fix it on their end.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
sounds like a comcast issue
by ady_elwood / March 27, 2006 12:20 PM PST

That's very good advice, thanks I'll try it. Yes, I'm using Comcast webmail and it isn't happening anywhere else. I haven't always found Comcast to be tech-savvy, but sometimes you get someone who gets it.

Collapse -
First
by PudgyOne / March 26, 2006 9:30 AM PST

First, make sure that you have the number lock turned on.

Second, most webservers will not allow you to use the tab button when doing emails.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
First
by ady_elwood / March 27, 2006 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: First

very good suggestions - neither work for me here but I appreciate your offering me something to try. Numlock is correct and I'm not using the tab - just straight out typing that jumps into another field a few keystrokes in.

Collapse -
If you start typing
by PudgyOne / March 27, 2006 5:35 PM PST
In reply to: First

If you start typing before the page is fully loaded, sometimes each website tell the cursor to be at point a when page is fully loaded. So if you type early, the cursor returns to point a.

I know this happens when people sign in at Yahoo.com. It might be happening here also. Just let the page load fully and then try it.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
I will wait to start typing
by ady_elwood / March 27, 2006 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: If you start typing

now THAT might be the answer! I am always in a hurry and I have seen that happen enough times (jumping back when I've already started to scroll) in other pages. I will absolutely wait to give it time for the page to load, and see if it works.
THANK YOU - Andye

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!