Phones forum

General discussion

Email-to-SMS?

by FredS / February 27, 2005 11:53 AM PST

Can anyone please recommend an online service that allows me to send email-to-SMS text messages internationally?

I have searched the internet and found many sites claiming to provide this service. Some services are free, while others charge. Obviously, I'd rather the service be free, however, there is no way to tell which services are reliable.

Also, is there a chance that some services exist just to collect cell phone numbers and email addresses to spam them later?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Email-to-SMS?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Email-to-SMS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
email to sms
by PudgyOne / February 27, 2005 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: Email-to-SMS?

You can email a message to your phone.

First use your phone and send yourself an email from your phone to your computer.

When you open this, you will find out what your email address is for that phone.

Then you can sign up for any alert (even FREE) that you want. The message will come to that phone.

Only glitch is that unless they offer you both services that include sending it to your email address and cell phone, you may have a little unsubscribing from the service.

As for INTERNATIONAL Text messaging click on the link below

http://cma.zdnet.com/texis/forums/search.html?q=international+text&m=10&tag=cnr&x=26&y=18

Collapse -
Let me study what you wrote . . .
by FredS / February 27, 2005 3:10 PM PST
In reply to: email to sms

. . . and I'll post back how it went. Thnks.

Collapse -
Thanks PO . . .
by FredS / March 4, 2005 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: email to sms

That was a great URL to learn about international computer-to-cell-phone messaging.

In the end, I registered with Chikka Text Messenger. It's based in the Phillipines with facilities in the USA.

The service enables me to send messages from my computer via Chikka to my brother's cell phone in the States. He doesn't have internet access, so this service is pretty good for staying in touch, at least minimally with SMSes. Messages via Chikka are limited to 130 characters.

The service is free. I don't think there is a limit on number of messages to one number per day. Yesterday I sent a three-part message as a test and all three messages arrived on my brother's phone one after the other. That even beats Verizon, that my brother uses. He sent me a message over Verizon's 150-character limit and the two parts arrived 90 minutes apart.

Thanks for the info and tips.

Collapse -
glad
by PudgyOne / March 5, 2005 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks PO . . .

I'm glad I could help you. I'll remember what you said also, so the next person that wants this info, it can be passed on

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!