Computer Help forum

Question

email problem

I received an email from me to me advertising rolex watches. What caused this and what action can I take to prevent this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: email problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: email problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's spam

In reply to: email problem

Send it to your Junk mail folder. If your email software has Junk mail controls it will remember what you did and send any more straight to the folder.

If not, set up a Message Rule to delete all emails with Rolex in the subject line directly

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
That is a form of spoofing where ...

someone has your email on a list for spamming and all you can do is filter it out as Mark suggested. Different email clients have different ways to accomplish this but you didn't mention your own client.

It does not indicate that your account has been compromised.

If you look at the header information for the email you can see where it actually originated

Collapse -
email problem

In reply to: That is a form of spoofing where ...

Thank you very much for your help. I will try your recommendations.

Collapse -
Answer
Let's put it this way

Let's put it this way: What you did was being on the Internet. Sadly, spam is just a fact of life on the Internet. If there were a simple solution for getting rid of it, someone probably would have hit on it by now.

So, all you can really do is resign yourself to trying to manage the spam as best you can. Do as suggested and either mark it as spam or just delete it. NEVER respond to spam, even if it claims to be an unsubscribe link. That usually just gets you MORE spam. Also, be selective about to whom you give out your email address. One of the great thing about these free email services, is you can set up one or two used exclusively for signing up to websites or whatever else, where you may well get put on some junk mail list. You can log into the thing as needed, like if you signed up for some site and need to get login info, but otherwise the spam just collects in that account where it's no skin off your nose. Meanwhile, your primary account remains known to a rather select few people, which will limit the amount of spam you get to very manageable levels.

You may also want to read up on some of the common email based social engineering methods used by scammers. Like it's never going to happen that your bank or credit card company (or any other reputable company) is going to email you asking you to go to some website and log in to verify details. They will CALL you on the phone, and then if you have any doubts about whether or not the person really works for who they say they do, you can hang up, and call the main customer support number for the business and verify that there was some issue with your account.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.