HolidayBuyer's Guide

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Email piracy

by dondaniel45 / August 24, 2005 2:25 AM PDT

I have a very strong feeling that my wife has access to my email password and has been looking at my emails. Is there any way to prove that by ip address's or anything. I have a yahoo mail account. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Email piracy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Email piracy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's Graphics to do with this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Email piracy

Please try to place posts in forums that cater to your selected issues or discussion.

Bob

Collapse -
Graphics and Paranoia go hand in hand.
by taboma. / August 24, 2005 2:23 PM PDT

Bob, How about setting up a new Paranoia Forum!
Judge Judi can be the moderator. Divorce court Judge?

I am glad that the poster does not work for our company in the graphics department.
We have too many Looney Tunes working with us right now!
One more may bring us over the edge from receiving mental health benefits from Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA.

-Kevin

Collapse -
At least they didn't read this other discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 9:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
Not really...
by John.Wilkinson / August 24, 2005 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Email piracy

If you suspect your privacy has been compromised, it's best to change your password immediately. However, it'll be nearly impossile to prove that someone else has been reading your e-mail.

If you had one of their paid service (Yahoo! Mail Plus, SBC Yahoo!, Verizon Yahoo!, etc), you could have them monitor access to your account, and possibly even go back and check the history of the account for date and times of access. However, with the free service, account access isn't usually monitored, unless a court order is issued. (You could always call Yahoo! Inc and ask, but I doubt you'd have any luck.)

The best you could do is check your browser's history and see when Yahoo! Mail was last accessed. While it won't state what account was accessed, it would give you a date and time. If you weren't the one who logged in, and she doesn't have a Yahoo! account, then you'll know. However, that's far from proof, and is only an option if you suspect she is accessing your account from your computer.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks John
by dondaniel45 / August 27, 2005 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really...

Thanks for your help. I didn't realize I was in the graphics forum when I posted the question, so I really appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.