General discussion

email not sending

my Thunderbird comes up with this message
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded. 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 14sm2176134ewy.3. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.
AND another one:
Sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.gmail.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.
I have changed nothing whatosever. It worked yesterday, but today it won't. Doesn't make sense.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: email not sending
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: email not sending
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you just upgraded to Thunderbird 3?

If so, you need to change some default settings.

In Thunderbird goto Tools > Account Settings. In the new window, highlight Outgoing Server (SMTP).

Highlight your default SMTP and click Edit. In the new window ensure that under "Security and Authentication" the Connection security: is set to None.

You may also have to make other changes. EG on mine, I had to ensure the Port was 25, and that the "Use name and password" was not selected.

Try that.

Mark

- Collapse -
email not sending

Wonderful, thanks so much !

- Collapse -
(NT) Glad I could help.
- Collapse -
email not sending

thanks buddy it realy helps....

byeeeeee
tc