Phones forum

General discussion

Email Nightmare!

Hi Everyone

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, which I have had for exactly one year. I had two email accounts on it; My personal email and my university one. They were both working fine until about one week ago. When my personal email account went to sync, a notification came back that it couldn't as the password was incorrect, so I retyped the password but the same notification came back 'password incorrect'. I then changed my password and entered the new password into my phone; same notification appeared! This kept happening for two days so I removed my personal email account from my phone and went to re-register the email account. The first time I entered my details it said 'incorrect username or password' so I re-entered it and it said 'unable to connect to server'. I have tried numerous time's but every time I do it comes back either of the above responses. I have also chosen all three account types (POP3, IMAP and Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync) and none have worked.

The other email is working perfectly fine and the email (personal) is working fine on my computer.

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Eimhear29

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Email Nightmare!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Email Nightmare!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry no. But I have an idea.

In reply to: Email Nightmare!

Maybe you should try other email client software. It is android so you have a choice of other email software if the stock one screws up.
Bob

Collapse -
Tried This

In reply to: Sorry no. But I have an idea.

Thanks for replying

I tried this but it said 'No p12 or .pfx files found on SD card' so it didn't work

Eimhear29

Collapse -
That's a clue.

In reply to: Tried This

Not much of one. When I install apps, no SD card is required. In fact there are long hot explosive discussions about Android downloads and installs don't install to the SD card. Again, not much of a clue to work with here but it is a clue that something odd is going on.

I make big assumptions folk are everyday users here. If you are doing something that is not run of the mill, always reveal that as I won't guess otherwise.

Bob (writes a few Android apps!)

Collapse -
No SD Card

In reply to: That's a clue.

To be honest I had no idea what a SD card is and the first time I heard of it was when you told me to try the 'client certificate' thing, now understand that it is a memory card. So I took the back off the phone and removed the battery but there was no SD Card in the phone. I bought this phone in a O2 shop and the salesman set the phone up and everything so I just took it as is, didn't even think about the SD card. Should it always have had one? The phone was working perfectly fine without one for a year.

I have tried to re-enter my details but the same thing is coming up (incorrect user name or password) or (unable to connect to server) I'm not doing anything different from when I first added the email account 1 year ago so as you can imagine I'm quite frustrated.

Last night I tried to add the account via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync instead of adding another email account but that wouldn't work either so I really am at a loss as to why all of a sudden it's just not working.

Eimhear29

Collapse -
That helped. Really it did.

In reply to: No SD Card

That painted a much clearer picture. Let me share that beyond writing apps I also use them so the problem you wrote as follows "Last night I tried to add the account via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync instead of adding another email account but that wouldn't work either so I really am at a loss as to why all of a sudden it's just not working." has happened to me too.

WHAT WAS IT? -> Sloppy coding <- No, I'm being inexact here but the apps seem to need us to dive in and manually clear some cached content from time to time. It's thankfully not too often but for a system that has millions of users they need to clear this up. For me it's one of the reasons I call Android the new Windows.

Here's an article about this -> http://www.androidcentral.com/android-201-how-and-when-clear-app-cache-or-data

In parting, thanks for chatting about the issue. Some folk get a little demanding at times but in this area there are many moving parts. I'm not there to see all those parts.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!